Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, has died, according to the company. He was 56.

The hard-driving executive pioneered the concept of the personal computer and of navigating them by clicking onscreen images with a mouse. In more recent years, he introduced the iPod portable music player, the iPhone and the iPad tablet -- all of which changed how we consume content in the digital age.

Jobs had battled cancer for years, took a medical leave from Apple in January and stepped down as CEO in August because he could "no longer meet (his) duties and expectations."
He made Apple simple and many dreams possible.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Although I haven't yet purchased an Apple product ... he has to be recognized as a pioneer in many ways. RIP Mr. Jobs.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
He was my hero I spoke to him once by phone, because I had written him a letter... I will never forget him.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
It's a really sad day for everybody. He built an amazing empire and pushed every company to limits they would have never went to without him. What a dreamer. He was a class A scholar, an entrepreneur, and a true American success story that made his dream come true. I can't wait until his book comes out. I do not like to read, but this will be a true treasure to read and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
It just shows that no matter how much money you have, that when the grim reaper calls on you--- you must go. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Statement by Apple Board of Directors

We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.

Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that
enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.

Source

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
This is truly a sad day. I got my first computer, a Mac at age 4, in 1985. I still have it at home in its original box.

I can't really disclose much, but I have a bit more of an insider view of Apple than most people can have because of what I do for a living, and what I specialize in dealing with Macs. I get the pleasure of going to their corporate HQ for the east coast several times a year. It is truly an amazing company that was created by an amazing man, and it has changed my life for forever. I just feel sick.

·
17,384 Posts
I heard the news as soon as I opened up Safari on my iPhone...Oh what my world would be without his gadgets and innovation...

Heck, the iPod even choked out Microsoft's Zune and is practically running the MP3/MP4 player segment!

While the keynotes won't have that job's flavor, the news of the iPhone 4S gives me hope that Apple will be able to continue on.

My day was immediately saddened by this news. RIP Steve Jobs, you'll be missed. :(

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Very sad. Glad I meet him years ago. Our company wouldn't be where it at today, without him. He'll be missed.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Love him or hate him (and I suspect most thinking humans fall on both sides of that equation in varying degrees), it can't be denied that Jobs made a profound, irreversable impact on how technology is incorporated into your modern life, no matter who you are or what platform computer/cellphone/music playback system/video system you prefer.

Was he an arrogant jerkface? Ocasionally yes; no doubt about it. Was he a visionary? Occasionally yes; no doubt about it. Will things be the same tomorrow in a world without Jobs as they were yesterday in a world with him? No way in hell, Henry. Damn near everything he touched in the past eight years turned to either cultural touchstones or raw cash. And he took Apple Computer, once little more than a bad joke in Silly-Con Valley (are you listening, Gilbert Amelio, you peckerhead?) and steered it into becoming Apple, one of the largest tech companies that has ever existed, with a gross earnings last year of over $65.23 Billion dollars (that's with a "B", people; sixty-five and a quarter thousand-million bucks).

Did I plan on eulogizing him? Errr, not really...

Via con Dios, Steve, and thanks for... For.... Well, for sharing whatever it was that you had with us Mere Mortals, and believing so strongly in the outcome of it all.

Was it the modern-day Midas Touch? Close enough for me....

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I really didn't expect Apple's announcement to make me as sad as it has. Goodbye to a uniquely creative and effective human being. He left an real legacy, whether you liked him or not, and left his mark on the way we all interact with eachother. Outside the immediate tech field, he also changed forever industries like advertizing, music, even printing.

·
17,384 Posts
I fear the future of Apple now...The iPhone 4S should keep them going a little longer but I have no clue what they're going to do without his insane creativity and out-of-the-box thinking...

Sure, they'll keep on making more and more, but maybe their products will begin to lose that magic and will slowly become "just another computer/phone/MP3 player".

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our first computer was an Apple II. Jim purchased the Apple motherboard and built the computer from scratch. Mostly surplus parts. Not only did the two of us learn how computers work with it but our boys spent time learning on it as well. Sesame Street had a program and board that worked with the Apple II. It was a great learning tool for preschoolers.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts