Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows XP is dying. On April 8, Microsoft will stop supporting the ancient operating system that was released in 2001 — and at one point was used by 400 million people.
Still, it’s time. It’s hard to keep an operating system this old up to snuff in today’s online environment. XP works, but it’s not built to the same security level as modern operating systems. Microsoft doesn’t want to keep writing new security upgrades for it, so on April 8, it’s stopping. No more security updates. No more support. Your XP computer will still work, but Microsoft won’t help you anymore. Microsoft is pretty harsh about it: “XP cannot be considered safe to use after support ends.”
:)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/still-on-windows-xp-heres-some-bad-advice-80911845810.html

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
Yes, actually they will, since security patches will still be available. My old Win 7 machines are still chugging right along and we've converted all the XP machines at work to Win 7.

No need to start a Win vs Mac vs Linux debate. :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
R.I.P. WinXP

Mine are up to Win7, except for one of my old notebooks which is still XP. It's rarely used though. I'm skipping Win8 unless I buy a touch screen tablet in the near future, before Win8 is superseded ... and hopefully that won't take too long.

I bought WinXPP the 2nd day it was available and used it for over 10 years on multiple machines, several of which I paid a premium to avoid OS's such as Vista pre-installed. IMO, MS hit a homer with XP. But, Win7 ain't bad after you tweak it a bit.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I still have one old lap top running XPP. It will stay there as it's only used for running Ross Tech's VagCom for my Audi and VW based motorhome. Plus the service manuals on Bentley CDs. All others are Mac's and iPads.

Kind of sorry to see XP go but it had a great run.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I really liked Win XP. It was excellent on my older netbook. Only stopped using it when it stopped working. I wish Microsoft had updated it just for netbook and call it Win NB.

I have Win 7 on a netbook. It is the starter version. It is slow. It should never have been on a netbook. Win 7 is great on my computer at work. I have Win 8 on a notebook computer; later found out it was not made for Win 8. Win 7 would have been better. Win 8 was slow and froze a lot.

I have been watching the development of ReactOS. It is free open source version of Windows.

I am trying to install eComStation on the two Win computers I have. :) I have the beta 2.2 version.

I am currently using a Chromebook from HP. It is the not the newest but a refurbished one. It is pretty fast. Like the Smart, it is not for everyone but it does fill my needs. I am using it now to post.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
NC1701. What does it take to upgrade an XP machine to run win 7 ?

For old people all this change is tough. We have one work win 7 machine. Two XP's we use often, and one Big Mac. Also add in one Android tablet, and a win 7 note book. Very confusing.

Maybe we can, at least, get all the windows on one OS. Than life will be easier and we will always push the right button. LOL A2Jack

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
I have Win 7 on a netbook. It is the starter version. It is slow. It should never have been on a netbook.
I've got Win 7 Home on a 2008 Samsung netbook and it runs respectably IMO even with Office 2007, but it was a clean install replacing XP around 2010 leaving out the preinstalled bloatware. 2GB of RAM and a SSD don't hurt, of course.

Speaking of SSDs, just put a Samsung EVO 250 in my 3 year old Dell Win 7 laptop and its like a new machine. Highly recommended upgrade to breathe new life into an older PC.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My frustration is that my computers won't support the newer operating systems. So, one choice is to take my main XP system offline and use it as a standalone system for the things it does well. My netbook is basically toast since the main reason for using it is to have a portable tool.

I will likely set up a new system that is Win 7 or 8, but I'll disconnect my main XP system from the Internet (for a while) and use it for some dedicated functions - until I feel the apps have so far outpaced what it can do that it is no longer reasonable to keep it operating. But if you're doing basic word processing etc with no higher functions, it's like adding the HD converter to your old TV. It's good for things where you don't feel you NEED HD.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Speaking of SSDs, just put a Samsung EVO 250 in my 3 year old Dell Win 7 laptop and its like a new machine. Highly recommended upgrade to breathe new life into an older PC.
That's right. I just bought a new last generation 15" MacBook Pro with a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7. May be my last mac as they are now a closed system. Anyway I replaced the 750 Gig hard drive with a Samsung 840 Pro 250 SSD and replaced the optical drive with an omibay and a 1.5 TB HGST drive. Now I have a desktop replacement!!!:)

·
17,345 Posts
FWIW - Microsoft isn't the only one killing old, great OS.

Apple murdered Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) last month, saying it will no longer be supported.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
NC1701. What does it take to upgrade an XP machine to run win 7 ?
I've done the opposite before. I bought a desktop which came with Vista. I just reformatted the C: drive and then installed XP on it, straight out of the box before I had work on the system to backup. I did have to download some hardware specific drivers from the manufacturer's web site though.

But, "upgrading" from WinXP to Win7 should be pretty straightforward, assuming you own the Win7 installation disk and your hardware meets system requirements for the new OS. Insert disk and follow the prompts, if it's like any other MS OS upgrade I've done.

Sometimes there are complications when trying to install a previous OS without doing a drive format.

·
17,345 Posts
Ditto. Sometimes you'll need to add ram or upgrade a graphics card, so check system requirements first before buying an OS install disk. :)

I'm attempting to install Mavericks onto my MacBook. It's a 2007 model so it isn't officially supported...nothing changing some files and upgrading RAM through the roof can't fix. :wink:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
IMHO, it's always better to wipe the disk and install the new OS from scratch so that any issues with the old installation aren't carried forward. It also gives you a chance to get rid of any preinstalled crapware from consumer PCs and do some pruning on the apps you did install. In the case of XP to 7, new hardware drivers are likely going to be needed anyway (Vista drivers are good if you can't get actual 7 drivers from the OEMs website, just make sure you get the correct 32 or 64 bit drivers to match your version of 7).

A fresh install will be the cleanest, fastest, and most stable option, but it will take a bit more effort up front. Make sure you have the media and license keys from any commercial software so you can reinstall it before you do a clean install. And, if you have disk imaging software, I'd take a snapshot of the old XP installation (using Acronis or similar) before installing 7 so you can fall back if necessary or recover data files you may have missed. At least, have a current backup available on external storage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most ATMs were running a version of XP. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the ATM interface at Chase and Bank of America have been updated in the recent weeks because of this, likely because they switched to 7.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Most ATMs were running a version of XP. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the ATM interface at Chase and Bank of America have been updated in the recent weeks because of this, likely because they switched to 7.
From the appearance of its UI, my CU's ATMs were using something more ancient than XP ... or maybe the UI was intentionally bare. Pure monochrome, text only. But, they've also recently changed their machines.

Now, animated color graphics and a lot less friendly. Pretty, but dumb. I liked the boring text interface better. KISS isn't always possible, I guess.

·
17,345 Posts
The local First American Bank branch has an ATM running Windows 2000. If there's any time the term "Windoze" is appropriate, it's when you're trying to use that darned machine! :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Ditto. Sometimes you'll need to add ram or upgrade a graphics card, so check system requirements first before buying an OS install disk. :)

I'm attempting to install Mavericks onto my MacBook. It's a 2007 model so it isn't officially supported...nothing changing some files and upgrading RAM through the roof can't fix. :wink:

Neon, time for a new Mac. 2007 machine is very outdated.

I won't down load Maverick. Doesn't completely support Adobe CS3. Adobe now charges a monthly fee, for using there latest greatest programs. There's some kind of patch, but I don't trust it.

I still get upgrades, for OS 1.7. Use that operating system.:)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,075 Posts
XP is embedded in a lot of systems. We've been dealing with automated mail inserters, phone voice mail systems, phone accounting systems, etc. Also found some Windows 2000 machines and at least one NT4 box running various mail processing, fax servers, and other functions. Everyone tends to forget about these utility machines that just sit in the corner day after day. We'll hopefully be able to virtualize a lot of this stuff moving forward so it's not sitting on individual machines.

·
17,345 Posts
Neon, time for a new Mac. 2007 machine is very outdated.

I won't down load Maverick. Doesn't completely support Adobe CS3. Adobe now charges a monthly fee, for using there latest greatest programs. There's some kind of patch, but I don't trust it.

I still get upgrades, for OS 1.7. Use that operating system.:)
That's the thing about Macs, they age quite gracefully. 2007 makes it sound very old, but after I gave it some simple upgrades, the thing competes with some PCs from today.

My Mac has an Intel dual core processor running 2.2GHz, total HDD space of about 1TB, and 6GB of RAM. It's actually a lot faster than the two other machines in the household, and they both were from 2013.

And for the tasks I use it for, it's well more than enough.

And that's the thing about being a bit computer savvy, an older computer isn't an immediate turn-off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts