Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, but they're talking about at the bottom, where one's feet might happen to hit it. This is halfway up the back edge of the door.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that i'm aware of. It's not really in an easily rub-able place as far as i can figure. I usually get in the car by just sitting down on the seat, then turning.... or take the "leg, butt, leg" approach.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Looking at your pics closely, it appears that something either pushed/pulled, rubbed against, or dug into that seal. It look like it had some abnormal heavy-duty contact. Seatbelt ever get stuck in there? Did you ever unload something that might have caused it?

Checking out my 453's door seals tonight after seeing your pics, it's hard to imagine them ever deteriorating like that without some unrelated force as the culprit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never got my seat belt stuck (and if i did, wouldn't just try yanking it out of the door... would open the door first). Never unloaded anything besides myself and maybe a bag of groceries or two from the driver or passenger door of the car... and even so it'd still be fairly difficult to cause that. It's weird... not only because they are both ripped in the exact same spot on both driver and passenger sides.... but the material in that section where it ripped seems MUCH thinner than you'd expect a weather seal to be.

I even just went out to double check my routine of getting into and out of the car (which is always fun to do at 3AM....). It's pretty much not even physically possible to rub against that section of the weather seal from simply getting into or out of the car. The seat only goes back so far... and with it all the way back (since i'm about 6'2), i still come nowhere remotely close to touching that part of the seal with any part of my body when getting into the car. It might be hard to tell in the pictures, but they've ripped behind the plastic area where the door handle is... just before it makes the transition to meet up with the rear glass pane on the door. It's quite a bit further back than the seat-back can go (without probably making it squeak against the interior trim pieces when going over bumps or simply moving a little in your seat).

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mr. TW on here raised a valid point about having the seals covered under warranty. Makes sense and while you wait a month or two for them to come in, use the good old Gorilla. And be prepared for them to go again, with or without your help.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, I don't see any way this WOULDN'T be covered under warranty. Both sides at the same time? Practically paper thin material where it ripped? The passenger door isn't even used NEARLY as often as the driver door.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey guys, I have these openings near the front where the door is connected to the trideon. To me they appear to be designed that way in order to let air escape the seal when the door is closed. Maybe they are the same openings I have but when they installed your seal they didn't position them in the same spot as mine (near the front).

I initially thought they were torn as well but after careful inspection you can tell they are manufactured cut outs. I can post a pic later today.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Shut this thread down. As suspected these are air vents. I have them on my car as well, they are also in the front of the door where it connects to the frame.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shut this thread down. As suspected these are air vents. I have them on my car as well, they are also in the front of the door where it connects to the frame.
I'm pretty sure the air vents they put on seals to allow air to escape are generally the fairly small holes you see around the seal every couple inches or so. Not only do i find it hard to believe that it'd be a vent when it's not like the seals are subject to incredible amounts of pressure to CAUSE a need for massive amounts of air to be able to escape unrestricted, but if it IS a manufactured air vent, it's one of the crappiest finishing jobs i've ever seen. It LOOKS more "torn away" than "precision cut".

steven: 10k miles.

·
Registered
430 Posts
So no other 453 member on here wants to chime in? I bet you all have these openings in your door seals. Do you think they look "cheap"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts