Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Road and Track 2008 annual new car magazine is out, and has a half-page review of the Smart. I can't find it online, but the review is very positive. Chief among the positives they note: "relentlessly cute," which is coincidentally what I call my wife. Chief among the negatives is a question: "too small?" Too small for what?

The news, however, is that they list the warranty terms as four years or 50,000 miles, both power train and bumper-to-bumper. I take that as good news.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, thumbs up on the warranty for sure. Now, when can we get solid mileage figures? The best I figure with all I've read is an average of 40+ mpg. Is that the general concensus?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
It's my bet that that number is ultra conservative for political reasons. PAG and MB doesn't want anyone getting anything less than that so they can complain (with validity) if they got 39 by hammering the crap out of it using obviously unconservative driving habits. Without even knowing, I have to say that a car that light with such small HP HAS to score much higher mileage using reasonable driving habits. I will be disappointed if I am wrong, but that will hasten my move to PHEV or EV even faster and sooner rather than later as that is my longer term objective anyway. I'm guessing the real mileage will be more around 45-50 or maybe even better with alittle trickery in tuning and in other things. Back in the days when I had my Saab 93 with the 750cc, 2 cycle motor, it always seemed that after I washed and waxed it, it ran faster......think that'll help? LOL

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's my bet that that number is ultra conservative for political reasons. PAG and MB doesn't want anyone getting anything less than that so they can complain (with validity) if they got 39 by hammering the crap out of it using obviously unconservative driving habits. Without even knowing, I have to say that a car that light with such small HP HAS to score much higher mileage using reasonable driving habits. I will be disappointed if I am wrong, but that will hasten my move to PHEV or EV even faster and sooner rather than later as that is my longer term objective anyway. I'm guessing the real mileage will be more around 45-50 or maybe even better with alittle trickery in tuning and in other things. Back in the days when I had my Saab 93 with the 750cc, 2 cycle motor, it always seemed that after I washed and waxed it, it ran faster......think that'll help? LOL

Back in the day, my 9 year old Honda 600 2 cyl 600cc averaged 42mpg it better do better than 40

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Just took a look in Barnes and Nobles in the Oct 07 issue and couldnt find a think, what issue was it in?

Yeah, I keep on forgetting to look for this - anyone confirm whether its the Oct issue?

Duh...I just answer my own question by re-reading the very first sentence in the thread:

"The Road and Track 2008 annual new car magazine is out...."

So its neither the sept or oct issue, its the separate new car buyers guide, which supposedly hit the newstands on 9/18.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Wee Honda

I remember them well; never had one. Is it an optical illusion that the front wheels are larger than the rears?

Otherwise, it

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The wheels DO seem to look different in size. As I recall they were 13" rims. I was always having tire separation problems....even with good brand names like Pirelli and Michelen. The sidewalls would bubble. The car was still a hoot and it's size and speed didn't keep me off the freeways. :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
I still have a yellow '81 Honda Civic. Love it! Hoping the smart provides a little better protection in a crash?! Beautiful dreaming:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a '59 and a '63 SAAB, as well as other. Both went really well down hill with the free-wheeling feature. The best MPG car was a '86 Chevy Sprint, 3 cylinder, stick, that got 47 MPG over 135,000 miles. It was a 5-door hatchback. Where are they now?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought I read that the government methodologies for rating vehicle mileage changed for the 2008 model year; and that all car's take a slight downward hit. (I could be mistaken. Maybe it is in the UK ... my surfing source escapes me.) But, this would make sense.

In looking at Autocar's results and converting it, 40 mpg seems reasonable. The mileage was higher in the UK but their gallons are larger. I'd be very happy with combined 40 mpg because it is rare that I get an uninterrupted stretch of highway.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I still have a yellow '81 Honda Civic. Love it! Hoping the smart provides a little better protection in a crash?! Beautiful dreaming:confused:
I would think that most certainly the Smart would offer the passengers better protection. Pushing a 4 star safety rating ahead of it...I doubt that the civic could quite reach that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My father has an 81 burgandy Honda Civic (they made them smaller back then) and it gets around 38 to 39 MPG and has 4 doors and a trunk.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Old news, Gortok! The date of the first posting on this thread is 9-23-07!
Much newer info exists on this forum elsewhere. The warranty will be 24 months/24K miles (or perhaps 20K miles) with options for increases in coverage, available at the dealership when you do the paperwork. There will be other dealer-installed options available as well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Cool...just wanted to get the thread back on topic with some accurate information...;)

Added dealer options? Really? Maybe time for a new thread? :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Prob'ly not yet, my friend! Many of us have seen the Canadian and/or UK smart brochure. They list several dealer options, such as a "Chrome package", bike and ski racks, CD holders, etc. I fully expect there will be similar or identical dealer options availabe to us. If you'd like to browse the brochure it is availabe for reading or downloading at the Canadian smart website - www.thesmart.ca . They also have a cool color/option configuration tool there. Enjoy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts