Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having alot of sandblasting or "road rash" occuring on their Smart at the front facing portion of the rear fenders? I'm seeing alot of it just from daily driving. It's mostly at the first 6 inches of so up from where the fender meets the rocker panel. The rocker panels are getting roughed up to though so I've been looking at that stone chip protection film to put on this area. Perhaps extend right along the rocker panels to the front wheel well. Any thoughts? Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this same wear and tear of the paint in this same area.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I seem to get most of the "road rash" you describe in the winter.

Has anyone tried the front mud flaps? Does it help?

·
Registered
42 Posts
A little bit of rear fender rash on my smart. It sees 120 miles of interstate commuting each workday. The front, obviously, takes the brunt and has lost its luster. I bought the car with the wear and tear of commuting in mind.

Might be a bit late, but should you decide to have the panels refinished or replaced, you can always go w/ the 3m Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film to protect your panels.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
My rocker panels are pretty chewed up, but the fenders aren't noticeably bad. This issue makes me think that the painted rocker panels on the 2011s aren't such a good idea.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I have serious roadrash/sandblasting due to my estimated 8,000miles of dirt roads I have driven. I added a set of BMS mudflaps and it helped the front. The rear is still toast.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I added mudflaps on the front fenders at Kansas City and I have not seen the road rash you speak of.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I looked again and I do have a bit of roadrash on the black. If I would hit it with back to black it would be gone though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts