Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To date of the 2000 miles I have put on my Smart since I have had it 60 miles was the longest one way trip. That changes tonight. Road trip from New York City to Alberta Va. 406 miles each way. Leaving 2am Sunday morning. Its a solo run just me, my music, my thoughts and my little Smart. The little guy is 6 days out of its service check where it received new rear axles. If the New Jersey Turnpike is repaved it should be a blast. I have a half tank now and will fill up as soon as I get into New Jersey as gas is cheaper in New Jersey.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cool! I’ve driven mine from Upstate NY to Charleston, South Carolina on many occasions. On the most recent trip, I had a guy look at my plates and say, “Did you drive all the way from New York in THAT!” I laughed, looked at his truck and told him, “I spent less in gas to drive from New York here than you spend to drive your truck from here to Myrtle Beach and back.” He just nodded.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left NYC at 245 am Sunday morning drove to Alberta Va. For a family event then drove back and was back home in NYC at 300am Monday morning. Just over 24 hours.

The Smart was more than capable and very comfortable on this solo drive at 60 miles per hour I saw 44 mikes per gallon. At 80 miles per hour I saw 39 miles per gallon. Car rolled smooth up to 70 miles per hour from 70 to 75 mph. There was a bad shimmy that settled down again at 80mph. So wheel balancing tires and suspension work is all in the pipe line. I felt no wind shear or buffetting when passing or being passed by the big trucks. Very successful trip.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Might want to verify the tire pressure, it made a big difference on my truck when it had too much air pressure in the front tires vibration kicked in at just above 68 mph. lowered the pressure to the correct setting and it went away.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely the air pressure rate will be a focus in the suspension build up. The 29 psi factory rate is just too soft to to to handle any road surface impact and allows the tire side wall to compress enough for the rim to actually make harsh contact and bend the alloy rim. So I suspect the final build will disregard all factory air pressure recommendations. But we will see. On the way to Virginia I had my New York City pressure setting which is 39 psi all around. Again this is strictly to protect the rims. Note: when to bought my Smart three of the four rims had these type of bends. One up front both rear. Since I have had it I have put an additional bend on the front one that was already bent. On the way back from Virginia I lowered the pressure to 36 psi. The closer I got to NYC the more I wanted to stop and put pressure back to 39psi all around.
I have found a tire shop that quoted an under $200 dollar price to straighten all of them.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ouch. Those must be craters instead of potholes! And I guess I won't complain any more about our road conditions here.

With the standard size tires and rims, I'm running 31/34 F/R pressures. I'd love to go higher up front but then impact harshness becomes way too high for my liking. I'm hoping to end up somewhere around 30 PSI front and rear with the 175/185 tire widths that I'm aiming for.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I went to the standard steel rims I would run softer pressures as rim protection would be less of an issue. I went on a spirited run last night blasting through traffic with the banzai tunner cars. I was running 36psi F/R. Car felt and handled well. I could handle any one up to 85 mph I'm too out of wheel balance to be happy at 90 mph. I was killer with the paddle shifts last night. I will have the car tuned to roll smoothest between 70 to 95 mph...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After a tire change/wheel set up change now running 195/50 15 on 6.5 at 35 psi rear wheel up front and 195/60 15 on 5.0 36 psi front wheel on the rear. This set up has transformed the ride of the car to a softer sedan type ride. riding back and forth to work is no longer the harsh beat down of every pavement crack and the feeling of dread that I may hit a cringe worthy pothole. the highway is where it shines now as a super cruiser at 75 mph and will run with out any stress at 90.

So a Quick 150 mile run from NYC to Albany NY. I kept my speed under 70 opting for a slow lane drift with holiday music all the way. What a nice drive topped off tank and left NYC at 644am arrived at Albany destination at 930am. 149.6 miles top off tank at 3.3 gallons 45.3 miles per gallon. After I was done with my task I headed back to NYC leaving Albany at 1130 am. the ride home was a flow of traffic run. I found a Partner who seem to be at on cruise control at 80 and we ran in tandem for the majority of the way until we hit trafic 40 miles from NYC. I worked the the slow lane and it creeped along faster, when traffic broke I never saw my partner again. By then i was in very familiar highway and cut loose with no gas conservation in mind lol. 205pm back home in NYC. That tire/wheel set up was great tires need balancing but the ride was super comfortable under 85mph. I am going to take this set of wheels/tires off to have the rim bends repaired and tires balanced but this set up with a change from 195/50 15 to 185/60 15 up front will be the road trip set up I believe.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Wow, that's just really high tire pressures - it sucks that you have to go that high to protect your rims. Your gas smart is only about 1800 pounds, I believe. Most people who drive the first gen Miatas, at around 2150 pounds, will run 28-30 PSI in 195/50-15s, and most track oriented driving on modified suspension will shoot for hot pressures of 32-33 PSI for most 200 treadwear tires, so starting around 27 PSI cold. I ran 185/55-15's that combined with a 12.7 pound rim gave a 29 pound wheel, and with that I ran 30/32 PSI F/R, which was just at the edge of being too high in terms of impact harshness.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah its a real struggle. I am rolling on 195/40 17 S Drive Yoks on Darwin wheels right now at 40 PSI. I don't intend to keep these wheels so I am creeping along on any street that looks rough with my flashers on cause I can't afford to bend them. These will be on for the next road trip.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I have 185/60/15 tyres pumped to 45 PSI on Darwins. The Darwins are actually made by TSW and are extremely strong. Mine have survived over 100,000 miles of Chicago potholes and still hold strong. I imagine NYC potholes must be more giant craters compared to our mini sinkholes.

Over the weekend I made a sprint from Chicago to Green Bay (about 200 miles). I thought I was running behind schedule so I planted my foot down and held a consistent 95 mph for most of the trip (bigger tyres fooled the system into not kicking in the limiter until 95). Ironically I was following behind a Harley for most of the way. No idea where he was going but he sure wasn't waiting to get there!

It's amazing how much work these little cars will happily accomplish.

ETA: Attached pic not from this weekend! :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Oh that pic wasn't taken this weekend! I tend to adhere to U-Haul's speed recommendations for trailers. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
greetings everyone, just bought my 2013 Brabus Tailor Made and drove from Dallas TX to NYC, only 1632 miles with $102 for gas :) I am in love of this car, not problems at all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Mmmmm that car looks absolutely delightful!! <3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts