Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This ad has been reposted since December. It would probably sell on Bring A Trailer, where people do pay higher prices for cars that aren’t street legal. That said, it’s in pristine condition and I’d argue it’s probably worth the asking price for the right person.

The existence of a title means that you can register it in some (more lax) states. Just...don’t let the feds find out.

Oh man, I need $26k from somewhere.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/d/smart-car-roadster/6531110963.html

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I’ve only seen, one other for sale. That was in San Diego’s. Beverly Hill Motors. 10 years ago. It was on there show room floor. They had a brown Cabrio 450 there too. My brand new 451 was just delivered to Aristocrat Motors at home. Waiting for me, to fly back, and pick it up.

The roadster are so rare here. Low mileage. $26k is not a bad price, if you really have to have one. I take it over any over priced new, 453 ed, smart selling for $33k.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You're about two thousand over the actual price for a 2108 ED Prime cabrio
with every option available. This of course excludes any state or federal incentives...
I personally wouldn't touch a Roadster. Just read the UK reviews to see how bad they are or were.

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about their issues. Water ingress, turbos that eat themselves, engine rebuilds, you name it.

I wouldn't drive it enough for any of that to matter. :p

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
You're about two thousand over the actual price for a 2108 ED Prime cabrio
with every option available. This of course excludes any state or federal incentives...
I personally wouldn't touch a Roadster. Just read the UK reviews to see how bad they are or were.
The year 2108. Checkout Westminster smart car. I take it back. A coupe goes, for $31k. That will be worth $6-7k, used 3 years from now.

https://www.mbwestminster.com/new-Westminster-2018-smart-Fortwo+electric+drive-Base-WMEFJ9BAXJK269213

I still take a roadster.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I know about their issues. Water ingress, turbos that eat themselves, engine rebuilds, you name it.

Don’t forget leaks...

“However, some Smart Roadsters leaked and production ceased due to the warranty work and other costs reaching an average of €3000 per vehicle. While a critical success, the Smart Roadster was, due to these costs, an economic failure for the company.”
—Wikipedia

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t forget leaks...

“However, some Smart Roadsters leaked and production ceased due to the warranty work and other costs reaching an average of €3000 per vehicle. While a critical success, the Smart Roadster was, due to these costs, an economic failure for the company.”
—Wikipedia
The worst water leak was the one that impacted about the same amount of roadies as the burned valve issue impacted 451s: Water can leak into the SAM and short it out.

Meh, I just won't drive it in the rain! >:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
452 Roadster for sale again!

Looks like there it is again for sale in Southampton NY on ebay!!

New member, have a 451 cabrio. Was thinking of adding this , but kids school just shattered that dream. Figured Id share, vicariously living is a thing right?

No affiliation, love how it Looks futuristic still after all these years.

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sure is! $26k is apparently far too rich for most people's blood.

I can't blame them, you can buy a decent roadster for 2k pounds nowadays and if you live in Canada you are officially able to start importing them. And in a little less than ten years you can officially import them to the US, is $20+k worth it on a car you can get for as low as 1k pounds?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts