Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In for my one year service, I have leaned I have rodent damage to wiring.

Embarrassingly, I should have avoided this problem. Two other cars in the past year have suffered expensive rodent damage to the gas lines. And I live in the woods. But these had sat for long periods unattended, and I foolishly thought they would not bother a frequently driven car. (For those wondering, I have no doubt I'm getting honest service. Many dashboard warning lights were on, for instance.)

Questions:

1. I lived here for 8 years without this issue ever arising. What's changed? Could there be only one problem squirrel, for instance?

2. Outside of the obvious solution of always parking cars in the garage, are there ways to address this problem?

3. Any other tips or thoughts? I need some educating. (I hope I have learned at last. It shouldn't happen twice, let alone three times.)

I'll here soon on what this will cost me. I expect bad news.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
I also live in the woods and the varmints are an issue with vehicles. I've not discovered much that you can do to totally prevent their handiwork, but I do a couple of things to help:

1. In the detached garage that sometimes has a vehicle (plus compact tractor and side-by-side) and a mouse issue, I use a bucket filled with water and antifreeze, a dowel, and a paper towel roll with some peanut butter. They walk out and roll off into the water. It just cuts the population down in general and helps eliminate them from the garage. I empty the bucket periodically if it gets warm and then repeat.

2. For the house garage, I try to never let a vehicle sit for more than a day without moving it or rotating it inside, but still no guarantee. My worst issues in this area seem to be chipmunks with an occasional mouse. They like to store and eat nuts on top of the engine or in the insulation lining the hood. The mice seem to like the blower fan area of a vehicle. I had a Mitsu Lancer several years ago that I became very good at removing the blower fan to clean out nests.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, DowneasTTer!

Oddly, Amazon reviews are mixed at best. How do you use the product? Do you place it near the car, throughout the garage, or do you keep it in the car?

How far downeast are you? I've spent a lot of time in the Eastport/Pembroke area over the years. Nothing beats the fish and chips at the Family Fisheries, with low-bush blueberry pie for desert!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Get some outside cats. They love to sit on Smart cars and trailers. Our cats go after every Red Squirrel, Chipmunk, and mouse around. Not so good with Racoons though.

For now our little trailer sits under the porch covered with an old California Car Cover. We often see the cat sitting on top just waiting. A2Jack

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Thanks for the tip, DowneasTTer!

Oddly, Amazon reviews are mixed at best. How do you use the product? Do you place it near the car, throughout the garage, or do you keep it in the car?

How far downeast are you? I've spent a lot of time in the Eastport/Pembroke area over the years. Nothing beats the fish and chips at the Family Fisheries, with low-bush blueberry pie for desert!
I bought some small throw away alum bake pans. Put 1 pack in each and placed a couple inside the car, trunk, under hood. near the rear end. Didn't use throughout the garage as the packs are quite small and wouldn't do much good in a large area. They really seemed to work against the gray and red squirrels, field mice and chipmunks found in the words of Maine.

Most of the time in Maine was spend in the Bar Harbor area….. DownesTT as far as the rest of the USA not so much in Maine. However, certainly enjoy driving route 1 out of Ellsworth to the border.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had some sort of desert rat/squirrel/gopher/creature damn near eat my son's 3500 Chev Dually. He ate the coil wire and V-Belts before he ate a radiator hose and killed himself. Found his body laying on top of the intake manifold. UGLY animal...8-(

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have a downed '91 car that I left in a garage for a year only to return to a horrid idle issue. I know it was caused by rodents, but haven't had time yet to fix the issue. One day I will. . . .

·
Registered
946 Posts
We once had a Toyota Starlet up on blocks while two wheels had to be replaced (due to a horrendous pothole strike). I didn't even think of rodent damage being an issue, but the car was well closed up the whole time.

When it became time to take the car down from the blocks, we found that the inside of the ventilation ductwork was crammed (literally) with expanded fibers from the noise insulation found throughout the bodywork. It took me three days to clean it all out.

The entry point appeared to be the drain opening located under the rear seat. They chewed through the rubber sealing/drain fitting, then slipped through the 3/4" opening.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Love this thread. I see this all the time. Boats and motorhomes are notorious for rodent damage. I've seen all kinds, one in particular was a really nice ski boat. Kept in a specially made garage, had holes chewed into all of the seat cushions. A cute little village. They particularly like rubber fuel injection hoses and belt. Gopher and king snakes don't hurt vehicles and make great pets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts