Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my AC wasn't blowing cold, and my Fortwo ED is still under warranty, so I took it into the dealer.

The told me that the expansion valve wasn't responding, and that there is evidence of nesting. I would have to pay $400 for them to take the front apart and see if rodents have eaten the AC wiring. If so, I am stuck paying the $400 and will have to pay around $1500 to repair the AC. If they find no further damage, I don't pay anything and the AC is covered.

I checked where they said there was "nesting". It's just the points under the hood below the holes where the window wipers are; twigs and leaves have build up on both sides, which seems normal since they can fall from the windshield wiper ports down to these areas. I'm thinking there's maybe a 1 out of 100 chance that rodents decided to build a home in my ED, but seeing as I'm generally a really unlucky person, I can't gamble $400 to see if I can get the AC repaired or not.

I guess for the few extremely hot days I'll just have to get a foam cooler with ice and a PC fan? It's a good thing I've got a Cabrio.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? I can't imagine the Electric Fortwo being so hospitable; it doesn't even warm up! I don't really suspect the dealer of trying to put one over on me, but they still won't allow me to watch as they take the front apart to check; they don't want customers in the garage for liability reasons.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening with a Smart or EV at all? I live in the city, sure there's mammals running around occasionally but it's not exactly a wildlife preserve.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Some time ago a 450 owner had electrical issues due to rodents chewing on wires in the front end of the car. I can not recall if they were in the US or Canada.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rodents (squirrels) have chewed my electrical wiring twice on my 2013 Cabriolet 451. I no longer recall what was effected. Perhaps it was mostly alerts appearing on the dash panel. I don't think it effected the air. The first time I was charged around $400 to fix it, if I recall. The second time the dealer (a different dealer) managed to cover it with warranty, and saved me a lot of money, for which I remain grateful.

My wife had her gas line chewed by squirrels on a Suburu which also cost us quite a bit, and a friend left a car in my care for 6 months while he traveled to Korea, and returned to find his gas line damaged. He was able to fix it himself, but I still feel guilty.

I have no solutions to offer you on the current issue, or for avoiding future problems. I keep the cars in the garage now, and have had no further issues. But I learned this lesson too slowly.

I wish I could say something encouraging ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts