Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 Pure with 19K miles has developed a peeling roof. I'm not use what they used on a Pure roof in 10 but it looks like plastic covered with a vinyl of some kind. It started with bubbles forming on the leading edge of the roof. Just keeps getting bigger, some has just flaked off. It seems brittle. Anyone else see this? I just wondering if I can get it all off. Depending on what condition the plastic is I was thinking omg priming and painting it or putting down some vinyl on a roll. Maybe do something crazy if I can find anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 10 Pure with 19K miles has developed a peeling roof. I'm not use what they used on a Pure roof in 10 but it looks like plastic covered with a vinyl of some kind. It started with bubbles forming on the leading edge of the roof. Just keeps getting bigger, some has just flaked off. It seems brittle. Anyone else see this? I just wondering if I can get it all off. Depending on what condition the plastic is I was thinking omg priming and painting it or putting down some vinyl on a roll. Maybe do something crazy if I can find anything.
Without seeing pictures of what you’re describing , it appears to be a clear coat issue you are having where the paint may be intact, but the clear coat on top of the paint has deteriorated. Possible causes of this is excessive UV exposure, as well as not properly maintaining the paint to name a few.
There are some good resources on YouTube regarding prepping and repairing damaged clear coat on an automobile. You may very well find an answer there and report back your findings.

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
unfortunately it won't stop. Painting over a clear coat will make the new paint blister and look terrible.The only recourse you have is to strip it all off, replace the roof, or cover it. My Pure had the same issue, but the Pure comes with a solid roof (can't see through it) so I removed what I could and covered it with a vinyl wrap with a carbon fiber print on it. Turned out great once I got the process down. There is a large selection of colors and designs available

1 - 3 of 3 Posts