Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 Pure with 19K miles has developed a peeling roof. I'm not use what they used on a Pure roof in 10 but it looks like plastic covered with a vinyl of some kind. It started with bubbles forming on the leading edge of the roof. Just keeps getting bigger, some has just flaked off. It seems brittle. Anyone else see this? I just wondering if I can get it all off. Depending on what condition the plastic is I was thinking omg priming and painting it or putting down some vinyl on a roll. Maybe do something crazy if I can find anything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 10 Pure with 19K miles has developed a peeling roof. I'm not use what they used on a Pure roof in 10 but it looks like plastic covered with a vinyl of some kind. It started with bubbles forming on the leading edge of the roof. Just keeps getting bigger, some has just flaked off. It seems brittle. Anyone else see this? I just wondering if I can get it all off. Depending on what condition the plastic is I was thinking omg priming and painting it or putting down some vinyl on a roll. Maybe do something crazy if I can find anything.
Without seeing pictures of what you’re describing , it appears to be a clear coat issue you are having where the paint may be intact, but the clear coat on top of the paint has deteriorated. Possible causes of this is excessive UV exposure, as well as not properly maintaining the paint to name a few.
There are some good resources on YouTube regarding prepping and repairing damaged clear coat on an automobile. You may very well find an answer there and report back your findings.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
unfortunately it won't stop. Painting over a clear coat will make the new paint blister and look terrible.The only recourse you have is to strip it all off, replace the roof, or cover it. My Pure had the same issue, but the Pure comes with a solid roof (can't see through it) so I removed what I could and covered it with a vinyl wrap with a carbon fiber print on it. Turned out great once I got the process down. There is a large selection of colors and designs available

·
Registered
3 Posts
unfortunately it won't stop. Painting over a clear coat will make the new paint blister and look terrible.The only recourse you have is to strip it all off, replace the roof, or cover it. My Pure had the same issue, but the Pure comes with a solid roof (can't see through it) so I removed what I could and covered it with a vinyl wrap with a carbon fiber print on it. Turned out great once I got the process down. There is a large selection of colors and designs available
I had the same peeling issue and tried a wrap but it didn't stick well, due to the textured surface, I'm guessing. I've done nothing since. Did you use a wrap primer?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have the same issue starting on my 2015 Pure. It's not a clear coat. It's a thin layer or two of some textured plastic material. If mine gets bad enough,I plan on replacing it with vinyl top material. Should be a very simple replacement process, being a flat roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new here and from the UK but I saw this post and thought I would comment on what I did
I had a problem with solid roof on our new Smart 451 Dci peeling, I cleaned it all off using the pressure washer and took the car to the local wrappers who would not touch it, another option was to have it sprayed at a large amount of beer tokens,
I did a bit of research and came across this which I bought for £17.00 OWATROL Polytrol Colour-Renovator Cleaner.
I washed the roof and throughly dried it then followed the instructions for applying, left to dry overnight and another coat applied this morning, I will see what this coat dries like before deciding to apply maybe another coat
its mentioned on a few car detailing forums with various outcomes
before and after photos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts