Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 passion with 10k miles that I bought a year ago. For the last few months it has been had a very rough idle right after start up after it has sat over night or longer than 6 hours. After I start it, it will kick up to 1400 rpms like normal. About 2 seconds after it hits 1400 rpms, it will sort of "spit and sputter" and the rpms will drop to below 500 and it feels as if it's misfiring, and act like it wants to die out. The other day it sounded like it backfired. I haven't started it since then. I figured I'd do some research to see what it could be, but I can't find anything that is similar to what I'm experiencing.
On another note, when I got the car it had 9k miles on it and on the way home the CEL came on and it was the secondary air pump. I put a new one in and everything has been fine and no other issues.
But my concern now is what could make it idle rough on initial start up. And after about 30 seconds it will idle fine. Same with a warm or hot start up after it had been running, it will idle fine. Only when it sits for longer than 6 hours.
Any recommendations since it only has 10k miles on it?
It has new plugs, air filter, and I run 91 octane only, no ethanol, so I know it's not a bad gas issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow a 2008 with 10k, I'm reading that right 10,000 miles. do you still have the box it came in.

this car has done a lot of sitting around, that has to have something to do with it. how far do you drive it at a time. A good hour long highway drive at speed may help.

but start slow. build up to speed, no gunning.

Also, has it spent the last 6 years outside or inside? how's the battery, new or original, have you tried a gas treatment, you may have some gunk build up, under normal use 10,000 per year just the act of driving cleans the gunk out, it sounds like your car did not have that benefit.
I don't know where I was going with the battery thing, but it sounded good in my head.

hope this helps

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
As much sitting as this car has done, I'd be concerned with phase separation of the fuel, moisture in the fuel, and gummy buildup. I'd run some Gas Dry through it for possible moisture and then use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for a few tanks of gas as directed, but not in the same tankful. Make sure that oil is changed as well and run some MMO in the oil as directed. The oil should be changed once a year per smart and even if you doubled that, this car would have had 3 oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it actually has 10k miles on it. I got it last August and it had 9830 miles to be exact. The original owner drove it from North Dakota to South Dakota twice and around town a little bit. Now that I own it I drive it a few times a week for half an hour one way. The oil was changed when I picked it up, and I'm running full synthetic in it now. I picked up some Lucas Gas treatment and was gonna give that a shop, but since I barely have to fill up every three and a half weeks :) I just don't know what the sputter and rough idle is after it sits over night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, it does have a new battery, other than that everything is original. It was stored inside.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh, I'm sure you've got the find of the year, the only thing you got to sort out is something small, perhaps something has dried out from non use. because it runs fine after a short time. Try that Lucas stuff that may fix you rite up. if not have someone give the fuel system a go over.

Your not going to need much luck, you have a 1 year old car, it has yet to be broken in.

Hay after saying that, take a look at those posts under , break in period. after you get the idle sorted out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is actually 6 years old. But yea it's barely broke in. At least a good portion of those miles were highway miles. I'll take a look at break in postings. Thanks for the advice. I just find it a little odd that it will only do it after 6 to 8 hours of not running, but if I "pop" the gas pedal it will snap out of it. Like you said it might be something that is dry or something might be sticking. Since the vehicle is "drive by wire" I can rule out a sticky throttle linkage. And since its not carburated, it's not a choke issue. I've got a Suzuki Samurai with a faulty choke. But I'll give this Lucas Gas treatment a shot and post back if it helps or not.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
..did the rough going started after the secondary air pump replacement???..
...if so....or not....make sure all line from it are tight....

Jetfuel....going back to when it was normal...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The place where I bought it is 90 mile away and about halfway home on the highway the check engine light came on and it was the secondary air pump. I ordered the part and had it out in 2 weeks after I got it and I didn't notice anything until this spring. I didn't drive it in the winter since I don't think it would make it through 2 feet of snow, but I did start it periodically to keep things lubricated. I had less then a 1/4 tank going into winter and by spring time hit and I could drive it I had 1 bar left and I filled with fresh gas. I only run straight 91 octane. Never any ethanol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll double check the hoses tomorrow, but I don't know if a leak would cause that. If there was a leak it might act up constantly.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...the secondary air pump helps heat things up and only runs for about 20-30 seconds..and only when cold....

Jetfuel...go figure....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not a 100% sure I understand what you mean about jet fuel. Do you mean since 91 being a higher octane for a 3 cylinder is a to little high?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...nothing to do with octane fuel....you replaced a secondary air pump because of a CEL....then you had a rough idle...secondary air pump only runs when the engine is cold or fairly cold...it only runs for a short time...30seconds or so...the same as your rough idle...I will double check that installation...like I said....going back to when it was normal...

Jetfuel...speech problem...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Put some Marine Sta-Bil (blue) in the gas tank.

One ounce should be enough, then half an ounce every other fill up...

A half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner every six months may also help, it helps mine... 4-8 ounces (half to one cup) is what I use...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
As much sitting as this car has done, I'd be concerned with phase separation of the fuel, moisture in the fuel, and gummy buildup. I'd run some Gas Dry through it for possible moisture and then use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for a few tanks of gas as directed, but not in the same tankful. Make sure that oil is changed as well and run some MMO in the oil as directed. The oil should be changed once a year per smart and even if you doubled that, this car would have had 3 oil changes.
+1.

Cars are not meant to sit around for years at a time. Even new ones... Follow the directions above. Give it a heavy dose(6-8oz) of MMO at the next fill up, and replace a pint of oil with MMO at the next oil change. If anything is gummed up, that should fix it. I would also run 4 oz of MMO for the next 4-6 tanks of gas just to make sure the fuel system is cleaned out really good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have MMO where I'm located so I'll pick some up. I've changed the oil and swapped it over to full synthetic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts