Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 smart coupe and it is rough on idle - but when I slightly step on the gas it run smooth.

The engine light is on - gives me a code P0302 cylinder # 2 misfire. I change the plugs and change the ignition coil. The code reappear after reset.

If I clear the code and take the car for a run right away the engine light does not turn on... But when I idle for 2minutes the engine lights starts to flash.

It seems that the car is not misfiring if the car is on the GO...

Please help...
:confused:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You have done all the easy things already.

How many miles on the car ? Some here swear by Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). I have used the stuff in an old airplane with good results

If you keep showing that #2 miss your next step may be a cylinder leak down test.

Valve failure is currently being reported on this list. A2Jack

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
How long have you had these symptoms?

From another thread:

Your symptoms could be due to a leaky throttle body to intake manifold gasket. I never got a check engine light, however. so check the code first. Do the other things first or smoke check for air leaks if the other things don't fix it. Finally replace the $12.00 gasket. Do this one last, as the access to the throttle body is easy once the air filter housing is removed and that is a bear. Mine was easy because I had already replaced the filter housing with an air intake.
The manifold to throttle body gasket loses its' flexibility and creases, allowing air to leak in. Sputtering happens at light throttle at forty m.p.h., surging and mild power loss as well as slightly decreased fuel economy. The sputtering and surging is the most aggravating of the symptoms that I had. Again, I never had a check engine light. Star machine said everything was fine at idle.
Best Wishes. Drove me crazy for over a year. Learned about it on SCoA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have done all the easy things already.

How many miles on the car ? Some here swear by Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). I have used the stuff in an old airplane with good results

If you keep showing that #2 miss your next step may be a cylinder leak down test.

Valve failure is currently being reported on this list. A2Jack
The car has 23,459 miles on it.
I just recently purchase MMO and use it - I am driving the car around now to empty out the old gas tank and put a fresh high octane gas...
The car was in the garage for 4 months before it started happening...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
The car has 23,459 miles on it.
I just recently purchase MMO and use it - I am driving the car around now to empty out the old gas tank and put a fresh high octane gas...
The car was in the garage for 4 months before it started happening...
Sitting for that long could cause the fuel to start phase separation, especially if you live in an area with high ethanol content. I think you're on the right track, get rid of the old fuel and get some good stuff in there. Just remember MMO isn't really intended as a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or to remove condensation from fuel, so a bottle of fuel treatment might be in order. It can't hurt anyways. :)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Star Tron by Star Brite is great stuff and might be of help here. It is available at both Walmart and Advance if my memory serves.... It won't hurt anything and straightened things out for me once before. It made a difference when Chevron's Techron did not.
Otherwise no connection to Star Brite.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Star Tron by Star Brite is great stuff and might be of help here. It is available at both Walmart and Advance if my memory serves.... It won't hurt anything and straightened things out for me once before. It made a difference when Chevron's Techron did not.
Otherwise no connection to Star Brite.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME
I also used it, successfully :)

At Walmart, it's in the "boating" department :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you resolve this issue? I'm curious because I am experiencing something similar: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/cel-cylinder-1-misfire-50043/index3.html
No not yet, I have done pretty much everything except testing the cylinder pressure. I am convince that some issue that was interesting is the intake gasket are wearing down prematurely causing leak. I would like to know how to remove this air ram they are such in a pain in the butt. I would like to replace the intake gasket manifold...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts