Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there was a rub mark inside most likely from a cardboard box I had in the back. Any ideas how to remove the mark on the plastic? armor all did nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
My daughter was caring her tennis ball cage in the back of the smart. Marred up the inside of tail gate door. I used this stuff. Not perfect. Better then nothing. Old car now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends if it's a scratch or just material from the box got rubbed off onto the plastic. If it's a scratch, there's really nothing that can be done other than sanding it flat. If the plastic has a "textured" style and isn't flat then that will only make it look worse.

If the cardboard has rubbed into the texture in the plastic and isn't coming out with brute force, you can dissolve it with 1 M hydrochloric acid (often called muriatic acid at hardware stores). ABS plastic won't be affected by even extremely high concentrations of hydrochloric acid, so it won't ruin the paneling in your trunk. If you don't know the proper safety procedures for handling acids, then please don't do this. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a better look at it to see if its the cardboard that got rubbed in. I didn't want to scrub it to hard thinking it would make it worse.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I once thought about fixing it with vinyl repair kit. The smart trunk lid is made of cheap recycle plastic. A gray black color. It has a certain grain to it too. This stuff might be too black, and not the right grain texture. I could fix it with this kit, and spray the whole lid a plastic color that matches the smart interior. Just too much work. Would be easier just to replace the item.

·
17,372 Posts
While I was working for that FW1 distributor they released a new product called "Shine Rewind". It's a copy (literally) of the TV product "Wipe New".

It restores old/faded/damaged plastic to something much closer to its former glory. I used it on my old mini fridge and was blown away by the results.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend you to pick up a Shine Rewind because the salespeople will try to screw you out of your money, the product's fumes will make you sick, and it'll strip the paint off any surface even after a minute of exposure.

Buy a bottle of Wipe New instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts