Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive the 2008 Smart for two Passion. I have heard a rumbling sound usually when I first drive off after the car has been parked for even a short time. The rumbling just happens only when I first drive off then it is fine. Anyone else having this happen?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Yes.

Everyone does.

It is the self test of the ESP, ABS valve system making sure all systems are go.

Perfectly normal.

That's how we roll. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
Before you ask, it is also normal to smell an odor like burning oil when getting out of the car after a long drive. The air intake is just behind the drivers door and you notice it more than on a regular car.

The rear tires have a lean to them, similar to an overloaded trailer. that is built in to the rear axle and is designed to help with handling. Ignore it, or you can install a 'shim kit' made by BMS (sold through SmartMadness) but it is purely a cosmetic thing. Does not affect tire wear or anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
Just a thought, but you need to get around some of us old timers... May I suggest attending the Midwest Rally in Iowa? or another event near your location? A good chance to learn about these strange and neat cars. I have had quite a few local smart owners stop by for a chat and explanations as to how everything works. 99% of smart owners/drivers love to BS about their cars.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
You are now livin like a rock star!! everybody will know who you are because of your car. Hope you are not a shy person because everyone will want to talk to you.

You might need some snappy comebacks for the ignorant people who will try to convince you as to how unsafe these cars are. (of course we know they are safer than 95% of the cars and trucks on the road) Have fun!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oil smell

Before you ask, it is also normal to smell an odor like burning oil when getting out of the car after a long drive. The air intake is just behind the drivers door and you notice it more than on a regular car.

The rear tires have a lean to them, similar to an overloaded trailer. that is built in to the rear axle and is designed to help with handling. Ignore it, or you can install a 'shim kit' made by BMS (sold through SmartMadness) but it is purely a cosmetic thing. Does not affect tire wear or anything.
I'm happy you told me about the oil smell. Just took my first long drive and when I got out I was nervous then remembered your comments about the device being behind the driver seat. Great share, great thread. This forum is fantastic. ANd fun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil smell

Thanks for the tip about the oil smell. I just took my first long drive yesterday and smelled it when exiting the car. I remembered your thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts