Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that I need to remove the whole front clip of bodywork to remove the headlight fixture to remove the tiny running light?

Cant find vid on utube & I can reach in & feel the back of the bulb holder but don't know the mechanism to get it out.

Any help would be, well, helpful.....Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nope. Just reach in all the way to the back. It might be a bit stuck, and there's not much wiggle room to twist and you will scratch your hands a bit but it's doable
Is it true that I need to remove the whole front clip of bodywork to remove the headlight fixture to remove the tiny running light?

Cant find vid on utube & I can reach in & feel the back of the bulb holder but don't know the mechanism to get it out.

Any help would be, well, helpful.....Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ok, so it's been about a month since I've replaced mine so take that info with a grain of salt. Imagine your sitting in the drivers seat and if you're we able to reach through to the light it would be counterclockwise.i had to wigle my drvrs side back and forth quite a bit until it came out. Passenger side was very easy, one twist and done.
Later today if I don't forget I'll reach in and verify the direction and let you know.

So Igor it just twists in one direction then releases? Drivers side which way am I twisting?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK well tried it a few more times but cant produce the torque needed to budge the holder with my hand. No room for a pliers in there so hmmm. We'll see if I can wear it down.

Oh and smartmadness website? That .com?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you can't break it loose, you may be trying to turn the bulb holder in the wrong direction. You may also want to refer to the Evilution website which is a smart Car encyclopedia or FQ101 for additional tutorials.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I changed my '09 Cabrio recently for the first time in 10 years. Driver's side rotates outward to the driver's side. The passenger rotates to the outside in the other direction toward the passenger side. It only takes about a quarter turn to pull the long holder with small amber bulb in the front. The rubber gasket is a bit sticky this old to break it lose. Went back together easily, just take patience to get it threaded all the way to the front of the car. I used a flash light to see down the hole it travels to encourage me I was progressing to as far as it will travel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.