Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obnoxiously loud noise...would it destroy the engine of an 09 Fortwo?
I have a next to nothing budget. I am disabled so I cant do TOO much on my own.
Please no smart a** replies. I'm not well versed when it comes to mechanics, so please, helpful replies only.
Thanks everyone!
Cheers,
Dag Nabbit

·
Registered
94 Posts
Harley motorcycles are the only thing that can get away with running open exhaust. Bust your eardrum loud but ok. Cars would get stopped in a heartbeat. I know from experience.

Besides, a smart with open headers would probably sound awful...

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Will it do damage, probably not, but unless something is done about the tuning, the engine is not likely to run very well like that.

The manifold is designed to collect all three cylinders together and run the combined exhaust past the oxygen sensor, which plays a key role in the fuel injection control system.

Even if you find a place for the oxygen sensor, if it is too close to the outlet of the exhaust system, the strong pulsations can draw outside air backwards into the exhaust momentarily and cause the sensor to give a false signal.

I drove mine for a couple of weeks with the flex pipe broken, and the engine ran fine (but was obnoxiously loud). But that's after the exhaust manifold, and oxygen sensor #1 , and the catalyst, and oxygen sensor #2 ...

The aircraft engine was calibrated to be operated with the exhaust being only stubby pipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts