Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and can't find any information on this question. Sometime this week my son has damaged The Borla exhaust system on my 2008 Cabriolet. I sold the stock exhaust so I don't have that option at this point. I was wondering if I could run the car without the muffler for about a week or two while I send it back to Borla for repair.

I know a lot of members have had the flex joint fail on them. But there's no mention of them running the car without the muffler. I realize it's going to be loud for a while. Not sure just how loud. Current afternoon temperatures right now is about 105°. The morning temps are about 70. So I'm not worried about the engine being too cold at start up. I'll advise him to leave the window down. In the event of carbon monoxide intrusion. Can anyone think of any other problems that this may cause to the engine or emission system.

I'm not gonna let him drive my BMW 760 V12,:eek: and I need my truck in a moments notice.

Thanks All, in advance
Rick.

·
17,479 Posts
I've run my 451 without any exhaust at all for about a week. It's insanely loud. I'm talking, on par with a car that has a glasspack or a loud Harley.

Due to the position of the exhaust exit (where the flange bolts on) sits, carbon monoxide did seem to leak in a little if I had the windows closed. Well, I'm not sure if my headaches were from the super loud noise or the fumes, but either way opening the windows helped big time.

The engine also seemed down on low end power. That's expected when there's no back pressure.

I wouldn't exactly call it safe, but it's definitely doable if one needs transportation while the exhaust is under repair. For me, I worked 50 miles from home and was too cash-strapped to do a rental car for a week. So I ran without the exhaust for the week until I had a day off to take it to a muffler shop.

If you really need to do this, remove the lower rear bumper. In my experience the exhaust gases had an easier time evacuating that way.

Reactions: Rick in Yuma

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I wouldn't advise doing so. Besides the noise issues, it could have an effect on backpressure and allowing cool air to get sucked back upstream through the remaining exhaust system and on to the hot exhaust valves. I would see if a local muffler shop can repair your exhaust. You may want to consider ordering a new one from Borla or sending your damages system back to them & renting a car for your son.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, for the replys You've answered my questions. My main concern was the noise. Miss Mercedes answer that question. As far as renting a car. My son 16 so he couldn't drive it. Need to be 25 for car rentals in Arizona anyway. Not sure about the rest of the country. I'll probably just bring it into a local muffler fabricator. Put my son back on his Bicycle. This might cause him to be more careful about backing up, or driving on dirt roads. He won't fess up as to actually what happened. I can only guess.

As far as Borla is concerned It's my understanding they don't manufacture this muffler anymore. Probably a good thing because they hang lower then the rear valance.Which causes them to be a risk of damage. However they do sound great. Hopefully I can get it repaired and educate my son more. In the worst case I'll just pick up another muffler. Preferably something that doesn't hang that low. Anyway what's another couple hundred bucks into a car that I haven't had any extra expenses, but gas, tires and oil in close to 10 years of ownership. Of course this does not include non-essential additions or upgrades.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Huronlad, you are correct on that point. I still wouldn't run the engine or drive the vehicle any length of time without a muffler and only the exhaust manifold & catalytic converter as an exhaust system. I would be concerned about where the exhaust gases are exiting & whether or not exhaust fumes are being drawn back into the engine compartment and possible the passenger compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts