Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting about a week agom, i've started getting a bad grinding, squeaking noise when I open or close my door. Just started suddenly....one day it was normal, the next day it was there. Seems to be associated with the keep-open mechanism in the hinges. I thought about spraying some wd40 on it but don't like the way it attracts dust and dirt, so I used siliucone spray instead, but it didn't seem to have any effect at all. Sort of acts like something has broken, due to the fact that it happened so suddenly. Am posting this in the hopes that someone else has had the same problem and will save me the trouble of diging into it. ln my experience, car door hinges are best left alone unless absolutely necessary. Adjusting them can be a real pain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, I agree that door hinges, if possible should be left alone. Many of the early smarts experienced loose driver's side door hinges which required removing the out door skin to tighten the attaching bolts. Also, I had a persistent squeak issue on my wife's 2009 Pure coupe. I used PB Blaster but WD-40 with or without silicone should work as well. Just make sure you get the lubricating spray into all the hinge areas where there is movement. I also applied a little bit of spray white grease where the door check rides to hold the door open. I would try again to spray some lube between the moving parts of your hinges and hinges and strickers should be lightly lubed from time to time. A product called Door Ease works well on strikers and and doesn't leave a mess that can get on your clothing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed the screeching door problem with a shot of spray white lithium grease. Had to open and close the door for a minute or two to get the stuff worked into the problem area which seemed to be the nylon roller. And, yes, mine is an early 08 and has the nylon roller....looked at the other door and the roller is gone on it, so they must have been a problem. Would like to replace it, but it looks like the only way to get to it is to take the fender off and since it seems to work ok without it and doesn't make any noise, I'll leave it alone until it doesn't..

t

1 - 6 of 6 Posts