Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this may have been posted before but i want to let everyone know it actually works! My eye doctor perscribed me window tint due to Photophobia, which is " is a symptom of abnormal intolerance to visual perception of light" not a 'fear' of light or anything like that. Has anyone else been perscribed window tint? or any other medical issues requiring window tint? My Smart has 5% VLT Limo tinting on all the windows. (obviously excluding the windshield)

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
WIKIPEDIA. I learned something new. :)

'
Photophobia (from Greek φῶς - phōs, "light"[1] and φόβος - phobos, "fear"[2]) is a symptom of abnormal intolerance to visual perception of light.[3] As a medical symptom photophobia is not a morbid fear or phobia, but an experience of discomfort or pain to the eyes due to light exposure or by presence of actual physical photosensitivity of the eyes,[4] though the term is sometimes additionally applied to abnormal or irrational fear of light such as heliophobia.[5]'

GOOGLE RESULTS.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,695 Posts
Say the Secret Word and win $100 - Photophobia

Thanks Groucho! Learned a new ten dollar word today! Never know what you might learn on SCoA!

jwright665, that's some mighty dark tint, I'm sure the LEO's will be pulling you over asking to see your prescription.

Neon, for more info on "secret word" Google "You Bet Your Life," Groucho Marx. Waaaay before reality TV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i keep it in my car, i'm also applying for the window tint exemption sticker for the state of Texas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both CA and TX have provisions in the law allowing medical exemptions to the state's window tint laws. The provision does not allow for the front wind shield to be tinted for any reason.

Like most medical conditions, there isn't one method of treatment or prevention that will work for everyone. Its up to your doctor to properly diagnose and treat the condition accordingly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just the cost of an eye exam, and it was a local optometrist. I have insurance so it didn't cost me anything

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
I might mention this to my optometrist on my next visit. All of my acquaintances are familiar with my complaints about sunny days. Seriously. I sometimes feel it also aggravates my central serous retinopathy (CSR), which I have been diagnosed with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a lot of problem with eyestrain too. I do wear Rx sunglasses when driving in sunny conditions but with the glare from the sides isn't enough. This is helpful. I'll look into this (I'm in CA).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a lot of problem with eyestrain too. I do wear Rx sunglasses when driving in sunny conditions but with the glare from the sides isn't enough. This is helpful. I'll look into this (I'm in CA).
Sweet! Now "legally" in CA the "window tinting" that is perscribed MUST be removable at night (no rolling your windows down doesn't count) however, In Texas it can be permanent. But 90% of the CA cops will let you off. I've been stopped twice and no problems at all in CA, they ran my license and let me off no prob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts