Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing that people who reserved in the beginning of 2007 are just now getting confirmations. I reserved in Oct 0f 2007, so is it not likely that I will even be able to get a Smart in 2008? I see some word about they're only bringing 16,00 units, but then I see other things that say there are more units coming. :confused: What do you think?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Today's mail suggests this..

Just so you know, I just got a post card from smart USA this very day that thanked me for test driving the smart and encouraged me to put down my $99 deposit if I had not done so already. I'm telling you this so you know that they are still encouraging people to place orders here in the third week of November, so they must feel that they can crank out the cars if the orders are received.

Of course, I don't have any inside information, but it does seem encouraging that they are still seeking ORDERS with all the deposits they KNOW they have on hand.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
TinyCarGirl

Get onto the smartusa web site and drop the $99 ASAP

we think 20~22 thousand will be imported (Pensky said he would get more then the original 16,000 sent over)

we think 35+/- thousand have "reserved" a place in line

we know there is a 8~9% drop out rate (Pensky said so)

we think the 2/24 warranty will have a higher drop out rate impact

we think many more will drop out because they could not wait that long to replace a car

we think others will drop out because of reliability issues

Your chances of getting a first year 2008 are not hopeless... yes--- a long shot--- but very possible-- still

BUT--- if you do not send your 100% refundable $99 and get in line the fact is you are NOT going to get a new 2008 Smart

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
And we think a few more will drop out after they see the car since they dropped the $99 sight unseen (as I did back in March but I WILL be taking delivery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Another Late Reserver

I too reserved very late, 11/12 with number #1411. I plunked my $99 down also sight unseen. The road show came through Albuquerque but I did not make it to test drive the vehicle. Not too concerned though - I just want a commuter vehicle that is simply enough for that purpose.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
There may be a way to speed this up by contacting some of the folks in your area (on the forum) to see if they plan on dropping an early order. If so, you could ask to have them go ahead with the order and then take the car off their hands at delivery. Not sure about all the details but it seems like a win-win for both parties. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
TCG: All good advice. Plop that $99 down, hide and watch. Meantime, hang with us and read up. Lots of good stuff here and great people. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've already plopped down the $99, did that in October...So, I'm in line....I'm just wondering if I'll have to wait until 2009 to even get the car..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, positive thinking!! I would hope that they do not continue taking reservations if they know for certain they will be unable to fulfill the orders.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've already plopped down the $99, did that in October...So, I'm in line....I'm just wondering if I'll have to wait until 2009 to even get the car..
I'm a September person, so I'm not that much further ahead than you, and I don't think we will. I think PAG's going to want to get as many cars out ASAP - not only for the publicity, but also to keep people from getting another car while waiting (like we saw on the boards here recently).

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
There may be a way to speed this up by contacting some of the folks in your area (on the forum) to see if they plan on dropping an early order. If so, you could ask to have them go ahead with the order and then take the car off their hands at delivery. Not sure about all the details but it seems like a win-win for both parties. :)
This strategy will double the sales tax. The first owner will have to pay sales taxes (unless they are a licensed dealer) and the second will have to pay the transfer taxes (usually about the same).

·
Registered
54 Posts
So Far Have Only Found 4 Buyers From N M

I too reserved very late, 11/12 with number #1411. I plunked my $99 down also sight unseen. The road show came through Albuquerque but I did not make it to test drive the vehicle. Not too concerned though - I just want a commuter vehicle that is simply enough for that purpose.
SO FAR THERE ONLY SEEMS TO BE 4 BUYERS FROM N M, THAT HAVE POSTED.
LOOKS LIKE ONE IN FARMINGTON, ONE IN CLOVIS & TWO FROM ABQ.
DEALER SAID HE WAS ONLY GETTING 13 CARS IN JAN, SO MAYBE THERE ARE ONLY 12 BUYERS & ONE SHOWROOM CAR ???
WHATS YOUR TAKE ON IT ???

·
Registered
34 Posts
ufofortom- My take on this is that there aren`t many posters on this forum from NM. I think the dealers allotment of cars for the year (275, or so) have all been reserved. In a conversation with Mr. Garcia he told me he never knew he had so many friends. Lots of folks in NM want smarts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think mine is one of the 12 that will be there in January since I reserved in November. I will be happy to take one of those for a test drive since I missed the road show when it came through town. I have never even sat in one so I'm looking forward to the dealership opening in January.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am in the same boat, I missed the road show so I have never sat in one. I like the idea of driving it before I confirm so I am looking forward to the dealerships opening next month prior to confirming. After reading "The Smart Story" I might even get the convertible.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My daughter registered in early 11/07 so we're hopefully she'll get a car sometime in late summer - early fall. Until then, I'll let her "look" at my 451 when it arrives in late 1/08 because I registered on the first day of registration. Keep the faith tinyCG. Regina

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The 2/24 warranty is designed to lower entry level costs for the car. Giving you the flexibility of extending it with factory sponsored warranty plans at the dealer. Some may not want to pay for 3-5 years of service, some do. I love choice!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
This strategy will double the sales tax. The first owner will have to pay sales taxes (unless they are a licensed dealer) and the second will have to pay the transfer taxes (usually about the same).
Your reservation cannot be transfered. However if you both show up at the dealership at delivery, I don't know if the dealer won't do the paperwork in any name you say. Just tell them that the other guy is your "domestic partner."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts