Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
5,297 Posts
It'd be interesting to know some of the stats on the site.
Hits per day/week/month?
How many stories are sent in vs how many are posted?

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also has a link to the NHTSA and IIHS safety ratings; good to review. While I'm comfortable with the safety of the smart, it's not a "5 star all around" rated car:

* 5 out of 5 stars on side impact rating
* 4 out of 5 stars on frontal crash driver side rating
* 3 out of 5 stars on frontal crash passenger side rating
* 3 out of 5 stars on rollover rating

Could be better. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
3/5 for rollover, but with that roof rating, it'll help explain that in some cases rolling is actually not as bad as a straight impact with less of a crush zone. It's the whole deflection vs absorption thing.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Whenever anybody asks me about safety I tell them I was in two accidents and one was in a truck and the faces I get are worth a million bucks. They are so shocked I am still driving they are in disbelief that I am still walking.

Or, I get the story of "did you see the smart spin like a top when the IIHS did a frontal crash with the smart?" And I say "do you know what the car was rated from the IIHS?" and they say "what?" and I say "good" and they just walk away shocked.

·
17,350 Posts
Also has a link to the NHTSA and IIHS safety ratings; good to review. While I'm comfortable with the safety of the smart, it's not a "5 star all around" rated car:

* 5 out of 5 stars on side impact rating
* 4 out of 5 stars on frontal crash driver side rating
* 3 out of 5 stars on frontal crash passenger side rating
* 3 out of 5 stars on rollover rating

Could be better. :)
It's now the perfect time to ask this question that has been on my mind forever.

Why does the passenger get only 3/5 stars? Is the passenger somehow subject to more forces than the driver?

I say they need a re-test...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
3/5 for rollover, but with that roof rating, it'll help explain that in some cases rolling is actually not as bad as a straight impact with less of a crush zone. It's the whole deflection vs absorption thing.
You've touched upon an important point, one has to look at the TOTAL PACKAGE and not just a bunch of stars for each item. In the case of rollover for some SUVs, that could be a very bad thing with a high potential for injury or even death. In the case of the smart, the chances are reduced, because it's next to impossible to crush the roof in a rollover.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Right - I've said in a few posts and might be annoying by repeating here, but it bears saying - I've lost family members in truck rollovers. The smart is safer in a rollover. It's probably safer in 98% of all crashes, but nobody's married stats on type of crash, occurrence of those crashes, and test results. If some group were to combine the info and give it a weighted "overall" rating, I bet the smart would shine. But then truck and SUV sales would fall.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts