Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Two things I'd like to mention,
the speedometer on all smart cars is 1/1/2 -2 miles optimistic. This means when you are about 2 miles above the limit, you're just about at the limit. The average person just likes to travel a bit above the limit (at least I do) and this can cause anger or resentment by larger cars when a little pipsqueak of a car is holding it back.
Smart failed here with such a stupid decision to have inaccurate speedometers.
The other point I have... and it works for me, is most of the time is just slow down a bit like 5 mph less than the limit and through an open window motion the tailgater on...as if you had a problem. It does help...most of the time.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
In the case of the OP. That's what your cell phone is for. Call 911 and give them the tag# and report them as a drunk/agressive/dangerous driver and give them the location. In this area they take that seriously.

Making a show of taking pics or vid with a cell camera usually gets them running as well.
Car DVR's are readily available for less than $100 with front and rear facing cameras, continuous loop recording, 1080 dpi, G sensor, GPS (some with Google maps) and small screen to review on scene. I am getting one for both of our cars.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
CP. Speed up... Become "The Leader Of The Pack." Get it on, if you've got the paddles in your car, keep that TACH bouncing around red line.

Never ever stay in that right lane on the freeway. Too dangerous for Any driver, let alone one in a tiny under powered Smart.

Be a leader, don't let those bully's*kick road tar in your in your face.

Charles Atlas was RIGHT !!!. :D A2Jack.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Squatch is right, get on your cell and report a possible impaired/aggressive driver. I have done that. Yes, i sometimes get "picked on" when i drive my smart. My wife told me that she very rarely gets tailgated now that she put an NRA sticker on the back of her smart. :D
If it is just crappy driving, tailgating and such, i just laugh at them. Sometimes i will blow them a kiss, that really catches them off guard. :p
I had one scary incident where a pickup stopped in front of me and got out of his truck. Otherwise, no big problems.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
CP. Speed up... Become "The Leader Of The Pack." Get it on, if you've got the paddles in your car, keep that TACH bouncing around red line.

Never ever stay in that right lane on the freeway. Too dangerous for Any driver, let alone one in a tiny under powered Smart.

How is the right lane unsafe? Isn't the left for passing, and the right/center (depending on 3 or 2 lane road) for travel? Also I bought my car for economy. Not to smash the pedal into the floor and blow my motor up running it at redline.

I like the DVR idea, but I think that's a bit much. If this continues to be a real problem , it looks like I've found a few for under $50 that seem half decent. If it happens again, I'm definitely taking the recommendation of calling the police. Do you generally call 911 or call the local non-emergency number?

Thanks everyone!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts

I get tailgated. I am definitely NOT a slow poke. Not to mention the fact that you can't drive faster than the car in front of you. That's when you see a pack of cars looking like NASCAR drafting at 45-50 MPH. A deadly serious situation. But, to blame the victim is not constructive.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I remember reading a comment from a guy where a lot of people were bashing the smart, the original picture or article doesn't matter - anytime you post anything about a smart anywhere but this forum, you will see a string of immature people chiming in and showing how much they DON'T know. Anyway, I digress. One comment in particular caught my attention, a guy said something like, every time I see one of these cars going fast on the highway, it just pi$$e$ me off. And for whatever reason, it really does seem to have that affect on a FEW people; they just can't believe this tiny car is in FRONT of them, and must get around us. There's nothing to be done about it, I try hard not to get worked up about it. That's all anyone can do, unless you truly feel like fighting or starting a road rage incident, which we all know is dumb, even when we're doing it ourselves.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Two things I'd like to mention,
the speedometer on all smart cars is 1/1/2 -2 miles optomistic. This means when you are about 2 miles above the limit, you're just about at the limit. The average person just likes to travel a bit above the limit (at least I do) and this can cause anger or resentment by larger cars when a little pipsqueak of a car is holding it back.
Smart failed here with such a stupid decision to have inaccurate speedometers.
The other point I have... and it works for me, is most of the time is just slow down a bit like 5 mph less than the limit and through an open window motion the tailgater on...as if you had a problem. It does help...most of the time.
I have not seen this claim made any time before this post. Time for some GPS confirmation, I'll find out for myself. Interesting...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have not seen this claim made any time before this post. Time for some GPS confirmation, I'll find out for myself. Interesting...
There is at least one other thread about the optimistic speedo and it has been confirmed by GPS. Mine is out by 5 mph in the 2011, only about 1mph in the 2005.

As for aggressive driving. It is much more common on my travels in the US as opposed to in Canada. I usually travel the speed limit and stay in the right hand lane. My only major complaint is the lack of ability of drivers in the US to merge onto the freeway correctly.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
As to the area I'm driving in- Rhode Island, and there are plenty of bad CT drivers and Ma$$-holes around. I miss the calm Pennsylvania countryside driving I'm used to, heck, center city Philly is better.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm both glad to hear I'm not alone, and upset that this is so common in our community. I'm not giving up on my car over it - the positive interactions with others far outweigh the bad. I especially love seeing and waving to other smarts on the road.
Ma$$ Holes !!!!!
We have a vacation place in NH and I know what you mean .....they are the worst!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it happens again, I'm definitely taking the recommendation of calling the police. Do you generally call 911 or call the local non-emergency number?

Thanks everyone!
911!!!!!!!!!!! Unless your area has an aggressive driver hotline posted on roadsigns. Some areas have that. When boneheads play games people can get hurt bad. Someone in a big truck playing games with a small car is out right assault in my book. B*****d should have their license gone!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
There is at least one other thread about the optimistic speedo and it has been confirmed by GPS.
Depends on the tires. When I was on the original Continentals, my GPS consistently reported a lower speed than the car's speedometer, by 2-3 MPH.

I have noticed since changing to Michelin Exalto they are in much closer agreement. A slight difference in tire circumference, I assume.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Toolman, coincidentally on the way home today in both directions, there were radar devices which supposedly tell you the real speed of your vehicle. This reconfirmed my findings.
Let's talk about GPS for a minute. I went over the Sunshine Skyway bridge a few years ago and a given height was on the read out. On the way back it read about a 150 ft different. So I question GPS devices.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The aggressive driver thing is why I put VETERAN plates on my car. I rarely have any problems even though I do tend to obey the speed limits.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I usually get guys riding my bumper when i am pulling away from a stoplight simply because the Smart is not the swiftest at starting off from a stop, and that truly irritates drivers a lot. That and i prefer not to jackrabbit from a stoplight.
I did have one instance where this driver was driving painfully slow and i decided to flash my lights at him to pick it up, Instead, he just stopped his car abruptly in front of me hoping id hit him. Not a chance, i passed him up quickly. The really bad thing is he proceeded to speed up behind me driving like a total mad man. Lucky for me my turn off was coming up and i swiftly took it and had lost the jerk.
It is sad that other drivers get really aggressive around the Smart car, and in the DC area, aggressive driving is very common. it is a matter of being aware of your surroundings and of what you do on the road.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes, other drivers seem to be most aggressive when starting out from a stop light. It seems you just can't get out of their way fast enough! Actually, I think the problem lies not in how "slow" the fortwo is, but rather, in that it has a manual transmission and there is a pause in acceleration between gear changes. I say this because I've noticed the same type of problem in the past when driving my other cars (all manual transmissions). People in their automatics just floor the accelerator and expect you to do the same. Personally, I sort of get joy out of watching the person behind me slam on their brakes as they realize I'm not accelerating as fast as them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I haven't had to many problems but been thinking I need to invest in a go pro camera and dash mount it. (Obviously take camera with me when not in vehicle.) That way if someone is being stupid in front of me I will have the camera image along with the plates.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I most always accelerate faster when I'm the first car at a green light and this is in the left lane. I just assess the type of vehicles behind me and anticipate their behavior. Most of the time they are well behind me. It also depends what state of mind I'm in of course. I will choose any open lane to be upfront to get to my destination. I have no fear about tailgating. It's when I'm traveling steadily and a bit faster than the limit, that's when the idiots tailgate.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts