Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes, other drivers seem to be most aggressive when starting out from a stop light. It seems you just can't get out of their way fast enough! Actually, I think the problem lies not in how "slow" the fortwo is, but rather, in that it has a manual transmission and there is a pause in acceleration between gear changes. I say this because I've noticed the same type of problem in the past when driving my other cars (all manual transmissions). People in their automatics just floor the accelerator and expect you to do the same. Personally, I sort of get joy out of watching the person behind me slam on their brakes as they realize I'm not accelerating as fast as them.
You are right, the tranny is not like an automatic only because it is not an automatic tranny in the traditional sense. I will admit the changes from first gear to second have a little pause, not that i notice it as much as some of those test drivers would. People do get really impatient behind the wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought other drivers get irritated by the fact that there's a little car in front of them not because of the speed the Fortwo takes off.
There are many occasions on the road where I've experienced where another driver had to get in front of me, no matter how fast I was going.
Do I hate that? nah!, I just simply say "another lousy driver"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fellow Rhode Islander here. People are ridiculously bad drivers here no matter what car you're in, but it's definitely worse with the Smart. I drive pretty fast, usually hitting 80 MPH cruising speed on the highway. The Smart's size is great for passing in moderate traffic. I love lane changing through gaps that other cars can only dream of. That said, I'm not a reckless driver and I make sure not to cut people off to the point where they need to brake. Some of the other drivers here seem to look at the highway like their own personal racing simulator, though.

I've had a few ricers - Challengers, Mazda 3s, and Civics - that tailgate me after I pass them. I didn't inconvenience them at all, I simply passed them (sometimes pulling into their lane, sometimes not). They were going much slower and didn't brake at all. All of a sudden they speed up and they're right on my bumper. I guess they just don't like being passed by a "city car" and it makes them aggressive enough to feel the need to prove that their car is faster.

If I don't have another lane to move into, I'll just brake check until they back off. They're too concerned about scratching their ricemobile and in my experience they stopped after the second brake check. Another favorite is for me to shoot through a gap in traffic. Either one that's too small for them to easily navigate and then leaving them behind in the dust, or one that's large enough that I can take it, block up the gap and create some boxed rice. :)

Sometimes my responses are aggressive but as long as I'm not endangering other drivers I feel it's a justified response to their driving. I couldn't care less whether they veer off the highway and wrap their ricemobiles around a tree.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting that such an old thread still has some merit.

I will not claim to be non-agressive, though I strive for it. Any and all aggressive driving endangers the lives of all affected drivers, including passive-aggressive, such as being a "stopportunist" (someone who makes an effort to merge properly, possibly letting lots of people in the left lane pass before merging) or slowing down as far as the speed limit when someone is tailgating (naturally slowing, not via brake checking). I am guilty of both, along with some active-aggressive behavior, though nothing approaching road rage levels, especially those encountered by the OP.

In regards to the OP's situation... This was a case of road rage and the response that was the best was the one that said to drive into a police station. NEVER call 911 while driving, too much risk (there's a reason why states have been banning it left and right). Whenever possible, if you are in a situtation such as the OP's, it is best to find some place with plenty of people and security cameras that is open and drive RIGHT UP TO THE DOOR (avoiding people, of course). This will signal everyone around that you are probably in trouble. Someone will probably call 911 anyways in this situation, but the person behind the wheel of the other vehicle won't be able to act on their ROAD RAGE any further and will hopefully sulk off.

Any who thinks that when they "shoot through a gap in traffic," they are not endangering other people, better think again. Unless there is a 2 second tail-to-nose gap between you and the vehicles in front and behind you, you are endangering the lives of other people when you do it. Our cars are just over 3/4 of a ton and still require time to stop and the people behind us still need those 2 seconds to react if for some reason we have to slam on the brakes. At highway speeds, this is a ridiculously large seeming distance and is not often practiced.

Here are a few reference speeds:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]                                          Distance in 2 seconds
Speed (mph)  General Area Type  Feet/sec      Feet    Yards      Football Field
-----------  -----------------  --------     -------  -----      --------------
10           parking lot         14.67         29.33
30           residential         44            88
45           openish road        66           132      44        almost half
55           std posted          80.67        161.33   53        more than half
80           reality sometimes  117.33        234.67   78        more than 3/4[/FONT]

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Fellow Rhode Islander here. People are ridiculously bad drivers here no matter what car you're in, but it's definitely worse with the Smart. I drive pretty fast, usually hitting 80 MPH cruising speed on the highway. The Smart's size is great for passing in moderate traffic. I love lane changing through gaps that other cars can only dream of. That said, I'm not a reckless driver and I make sure not to cut people off to the point where they need to brake. Some of the other drivers here seem to look at the highway like their own personal racing simulator, though.

I've had a few ricers - Challengers, Mazda 3s, and Civics - that tailgate me after I pass them. I didn't inconvenience them at all, I simply passed them (sometimes pulling into their lane, sometimes not). They were going much slower and didn't brake at all. All of a sudden they speed up and they're right on my bumper. I guess they just don't like being passed by a "city car" and it makes them aggressive enough to feel the need to prove that their car is faster.

If I don't have another lane to move into, I'll just brake check until they back off. They're too concerned about scratching their ricemobile and in my experience they stopped after the second brake check. Another favorite is for me to shoot through a gap in traffic. Either one that's too small for them to easily navigate and then leaving them behind in the dust, or one that's large enough that I can take it, block up the gap and create some boxed rice. :)

Sometimes my responses are aggressive but as long as I'm not endangering other drivers I feel it's a justified response to their driving. I couldn't care less whether they veer off the highway and wrap their ricemobiles around a tree.
From your own description you are a very aggressive driver, and I'm not surprised by others actions toward you. Check-braking is extremely dangerous. You are, in fact, a danger to yourself and others around you, but evidently you seem oblivious to that reality. I strongly encourage your to re-think your driving habits before someone gets hurt. It's not the car, it's you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
:nono: That's EXACTLY how ricers drive on the highway.....The only thing worse than them is the crotch rocket moroons. Not a good practice to drive like that in a smart.:nono:

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
Had a first last night driving home from work. I take a highway that has minimal traffic at midnight, but last night I was driving at 60 ish in a 55 MPH stretch, flat and straight 2 lane. I was rapidly approached by a semi truck with a stock trailer. I could tell there was going to be trouble as he got within a few feet of my rear bumper, headlights shining over the top of my smart (high beams) and he sat there. I moved over to the right to allow even more room to pass, he laid into the brakes (motor braking) so as to make lots of noise (I guess) and finally passed me extremely close to me and cut back in before he was 1/2 way past. I slowed down so he could get over and leave my front end complete, and he promptly slowed down to 30 MPH. As I backed off more, he slowed down more. after a few miles, he took off and was somewhere north of 80 mph. 5 miles later there is a particularly long hill where I caught up to him again. I kept my distance and he was driving down the exact center of the road all the way up the hill at a reduced speed. Top of the hill, the road splits to a divided highway with 2 lanes in each direction. He continued to take up the whole road and used the motor braking so the brake lights never came on. He then slowed to a complete stop blocking the road, I slowly passed on the right side as there was a bit more room. As I got even with the cab, he started turning into me and forced me off the road into the grass. After I passed him, he again got right on my rear bumper, and followed me into town. At this point I was on the phone with 911 and explaining exactly where I was, his license number and what was happening. Once we got into the residential area, he continued to use the motor braking and the 911 operator could hear the resulting noise (residential area at midnight is a no-no in town)

well I got out of there into a busy convenience store that police frequent (except for that night) and he continued into Wisconsin. I did get some pictures of his company name and license number which I forwarded to police along with the video of him pushing me into the grass. Hope they talk with him before he freaks someone into driving off the road or worse.

oooh! he beat up on a car the size of his tire!! what an #$^^^$%

P.S. Police never did show up, must have been busy elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Wow! Must have been really scarry! You had all the right equipment with the video. I'd like to see his company watching his performance in their truck! He was in desperate need of a valve stem hair cut. Little damage, lots of inconvenience. No, I would never do that, but it is fun to think about when someone has been so bad. Truly a Fargen Ice hole.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's absolutely awful that things like this actually happen. Absolutely unbelievable. Some of those truckers have been up so long that they have no business driving anyway. I only hope that the information you provided results in some sort of action against this guy, and I hope you know exactly what the police do. I would be calling up every day with the information you have - and I'd be darn sure this guy is found, is off the road, and out of a job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally when I am being tailgated on non-interstate roads I will gradually start slowing down and force them to pass if safe. Here in Indiana you can go 15MPH under the speed limit. If they persist, I will also activate my hazards and depending on the situation I may "pull off" the road (if no one behind them, etc).

It's a shame people need to bully others because of their own insecurity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was on I-435 in Kansas City last Sunday. Totally deserted highway. Speed limit 70. I was doing 70 in the right lane in my Smart. I drive a school bus for a living and we loose our jobs if we get a ticket - even in our personal car. So NO speeding. Out of nowhere a pickup appeared on my bumper and just sat there. Not another car in sight and center and left lanes open. I can't speed up so I started slowing down. I got down to 15 mph with my flashers on before he finally passed me as close to my door as he could get and disappeared in the distance. He was driving a Ford.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
That's when having a remote control trap door built into the car's DeDion tubes, which are chock full of roofing nails, comes in handy :wink:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I honestly expected to have more problems from idiot drivers being I live in Michigan (lots of "american made" only people in this state. But in my case rare and few.

But I do remember one time driving down a 3 lane road (middle turning lane,) I was in a 35 zone I was doing 35, big old truck behind me (jacked up big mudder style tires) was entirely to close. So I slowed down to try to get him to back off. Got down to around 20 mph, and then he passed me in the center left turn lane. I got back up to the speed limit (as quickly as I could in the hopes a cop would be nearby) and stayed there while his vehicle was chugging the gas!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here in ATL... Lots of A-holes.....tail gaiters....AND I do not drive the speed limit, you can't here..you will be killed. Just have to drive as defensively as possible, keep your gun, holstered of course on the drivers seat...

41 - 60 of 65 Posts