Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been one of the loyal Smart owners for 7 years. When MB abandoned me and told me to take my Smart to Omaha for warranty service after the abruptly closed all local options, I put is on blocks and then took it to Madison. I mean, I never reach 5,000 miles without a check engine light on and my recent smart had a $2,500 engine repair at 26,000 Miles. Then we finally got a GREAT dealer in Rochester. But I am tired of the lack of support I had from MB in general (again driving 100 miles one way for service is just to much when I live in a major metropolitan area)! For the past year, I felt like MB had the desire to kill the brand in the US. I have never been so upset as I loved the car, but what good is a car without a good support network. So with that, I have dumped the Smart for a Scion IA. My gas mileage is the same yet not as fun to drive, but after MB giving me the shaft several times over 7 years and two Smarts, it is time to realize that is not a company I want to support. Oh wait, they do not want me as a customer cause i do not have an endless trough of money.

Wish you all well but I will never suggest someone look at this vehicle again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I generally drive for reliability and low cost. That is my goal but 7 years ago I went for fun and that was without a doubt the smart. I never spent more for a new car than $17K and have bought 8 new cars for the past 30 years. Yet looking back over 7 years, I have had real bad reliability with both Smarts I owned and know others who had no issue. Over the years, my two smarts were in the shop just over 90 days, not including same day oil changes, etc... The regular maintenance I spent on my two smarts was almost three times higher compared to the Kia (1999) and Civic (2005) I owned.

Like I said, I will miss the fun to drive aspect, but that is all. My Smart rides rough, shifts rough, and had no cargo space. I knew this when I bought is and had it for the fun drive. I wish I had better luck!

BTW, the Scion IA (Mazda 2) got 42.7 MPG in the 18 mile work commute this morning. It was rare to break 40 MPG for the Smart in the winter. Also nice to have 0-60 without the car behind me wanting to make the rear end smaller.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Mazda, can't give away the Mazda 2. It's on it's way out. 2015 YTD, they sold 303 units. If you want to drive a small car. There are plenty, of used Scion IQ out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Scion IA is a new car model (based on the partnership with Mazda). I know the Mazda 2 is heading out yet they never introduced the Mazda 2 in any format other than the hatchback, which I do not like.

I am sure that the main difference is when the car is discontinued, Scion/Toyota dealerships will still be there to do warranty work whereas MB keeps making the car and tells me to load it on a trailer and drive 900 miles to get warranty service. Yes that is what they did even when there were MB dealers within a mile of my home. Then we got the Rochester dealer and they said load it on a trailer and take it there for warranty work.

That is the key issue as I loved the car, hated the way the company treats owners.

Also, looked at the IQ. Not as fun to drive as a Smart and fuel mileage is poor. My IA is rated 5 MPG better and my IA is already getting 10% better MPG than the Smart, and I use regular fuel...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts