Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 smart that when the headlights come on so do the wipers. and then the car will not go into gear. I have spent 50 hours trying to troubleshoot this with no luck. Everything points to the sam but I don't feel like wasting 500 dollars if its not the problem.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Usually when the symptoms get that bad, the SAM needs replacement, which is a $1500 job. Only a dealer or someone with the suite of M-B workshop software can replace a SAM and make it work.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That sounds like a Leroy question :) I have seen lots of these problems and it is most likly the SAM unit causing the problem. What you have to do is replace the SAM. You have to use the Star to reprogram the new unit and program the FOBs. If you get one out of a used car it will not match the VIN numbers in the cluster and MEG unit. It takes about 30 minutes to remove and program the new one.

Leroy

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
That sounds like a Leroy question :) I have seen lots of these problems and it is most likly the SAM unit causing the problem. What you have to do is replace the SAM. You have to use the Star to reprogram the new unit and program the FOBs. If you get one out of a used car it will not match the VIN numbers in the cluster and MEG unit. It takes about 30 minutes to remove and program the new one.

Leroy
Try here S.O.S. Diagnostics before you buy new :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 smart, had the sam melt from inside out, no damage to any external wiring or plugs on the module, initial issue was no a/c operation, found no power out from sam for a/c system, one day later melted. Any idea as to what happened.
Thanks, regor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts