Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SAM BCM burnt up in my driveway yesterday. Car was not even running ran out to close windows in sudden downpour of rain, turned ign on window went half up wipers and rad fan and horn activate and SAM began to smoke!:eek: Quickly disconnected battery but Sam is totally destroyed. I know sam is married to vin, ecm, key and cluster so used is not option. If I purchase new virgin sam fro mb will it come ready to install? Will it mate via canbus? Or must I get towed to mb for replacement?:crying:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 08, been in indoor storage 2yrs out of storage replaced alternator and brake shoes drove 3000km=1800miles since, only 50,000 miles total on car

·
Registered
815 Posts
Could any mice gotten to any of the wiring while in storage, and the problem just now showed up?
I'm old so the memory is foggy sometimes, but I think I remember reading about this happening one or twice before to members of this forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
My first smart, 08 pure had a bad solder joint and burned up, SAM and fuse box melted catching the dash on fire! Mine was pretty much a total loss. I believe any new (or used) SAM will need to be programmed to the car, and keys. S.O.S could do this but pretty sure they (or the dealer) would need the whole car. Dealerships will not want to mess with a used SAM as if something goes wrong, they won't cover damage to the part you bring in.

S.O.S. Diagnostics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies all. I will contact SOS tomorrow to see if anything can be done without vehicle and get quote at mb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Explored all options. Decided to go with cheapest. Bought SAM kit from Uk for $280usd, came with sam, cluster, ecu, key. Had to swap cluster case to fit left side. All installed and working fine so far. Bonus the Uk cluster has temp gage, also UK version has 3 bulb tail light need converter for 2 bulb used in NA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts