Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally latched on to a pair of rear rims so I can join the "I can rotate my tires" club. I see posts on here of people using stock 175/55s all around, 195/50s & 185/60s. I'm leaning towards the 195s as that seems to be the most popular, but would using one of the fronts as a spare work with these or cause problems? (or the 185s?) Also, the 195s & 185s are more readily available and less expensive that the 175s... I guess I'm looking for an educated opinion on which would be the best way to go. Anybody?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I ran 195/50s for many miles and they do work well and will improve the handling greatly. More recently, I wanted a bit more cushion, so I split the difference with 185/55s. I also didn't want to run the risk of the slight rubbing reported with 185/60s.

So, I'll throw out 185/55 as another possibility. Better handling than stock and a bit more cushion than 195/50 without rubbing. Choices, choices, choices... :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 195/50 falkens on my car and I love them. zero issues and the ride is way better then stock. 195s are also the closest height to the OEM tire.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
185/60's

The 185/60's provide the most rubber between the road and the rim, it also helps a great deal when you hit those unavoidable potholes. That's the size I run on all 3 of my smarts.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have 185/60's on the front and 185/65's on the rear, this works great for the ride and better gas mileage. The only problem occurs when I throw it into a very tight curve too fast and it MIGHT kick in the stability control , no problem with normal driving. Chumly

·
17,349 Posts
195/50/15 all the way around. HUGE night and day difference in handling, they make the car look more aggressive, and they're cheaper.

Whatever you choose, do not go with the Kumho Ecsta AST tyre. They make an awesome summer tyre, but despite what the markings say, they are not good for all seasons. Also, the rears wear out too quickly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still running Kumho 185/55 here on all four tires with Rial rims and loving it! Just had to pull out a screw on the right rear tire :( But otherwise I'm most satisfied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went to Yokohama 185/55 15 from a 195/50 Kumo. Better ride for sure. Can't seem to feel a difference in handling or highway movement. The yokos Seem to be a nice sticky tire.

·
17,349 Posts
Still running Kumho 185/55 here on all four tires with Rial rims and loving it! Just had to pull out a screw on the right rear tire :( But otherwise I'm most satisfied.
See, I put an insane amount of miles on my car. The Ecstas only lasted 30k on the rear. The fronts still have like 80% tread and will probably last at least 60k.

30k was only a year and a couple months. The Continentals did better than that (except the fronts, those wore down too).

If you've gotta get some Kumhos, get the Solus tyre, not the Ecsta AST.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I had Yokos for my first set of 195/50s. They didn't last as long as I would have liked, but they handled and looked real good. My Kumho Ecsta 4X all season tires seemed to be holding up well so far.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The 185/60's provide the most rubber between the road and the rim, it also helps a great deal when you hit those unavoidable potholes. That's the size I run on all 3 of my smarts.
I have 185/60's on the front and 185/65's on the rear, this works great for the ride and better gas mileage. The only problem occurs when I throw it into a very tight curve too fast and it MIGHT kick in the stability control , no problem with normal driving. Chumly
I too went with the 185/60s all around. MUCH better ride and only a very occasional rub in hard turns in the front. Like Chumly said, no problem in "normal" driving :)

AND, YES...you can use a "stock" front for a spare....BUT...with this size tire you HAVE to use it on the rear only !!! It will NOT work on the front :(

Oh, BTW, I went with General Altimax RT43's .

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Wouldn't the stock front wheel work as a spare on the front with oversize tires all around if you disable the traction control/stability control when you have a flat?

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Wouldn't the stock front wheel work as a spare on the front with oversize tires all around if you disable the traction control/stability control when you have a flat?
If you disable it, yes, but better to put it on the back for safety IMHO :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Best Mileage - 175/55R15, grip is acceptable, better than stock...

Best Cost - 175/55R15, you only have to buy two tires and two rear rims...
The two rear OEM tires remain...

Best Grip - 195/50R15, mileage will suffer, greater rolling resistance, and possible lower max PSI rating.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Best Mileage - 175/55R15, grip is acceptable, better than stock...

Best Cost - 175/55R15, you only have to buy two tires and two rear rims...
The two rear OEM tires remain...

Best Grip - 195/50R15, mileage will suffer, greater rolling resistance, and possible lower max PSI rating.
Actually, I find I have to keep the pressure up with the 195's 36f/38r is working well. Any lower and it's to soft. Much higher and it loses grip in hard corners.

·
Registered
74 Posts
195/50/15 all the way around. HUGE night and day difference in handling, they make the car look more aggressive, and they're cheaper.

Whatever you choose, do not go with the Kumho Ecsta AST tyre. They make an awesome summer tyre, but despite what the markings say, they are not good for all seasons. Also, the rears wear out too quickly.
This is what I run and I havent had any wear problem but I rotate them every 5-6000 miles . 3 trips to Florida on them. Havent measured them but dont show any wear by eye. Ride so much better than stock.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts