Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried same size wheels and tires all around on a new 453? Smart Madness, Tire rack and Discount Tire all have listings for same size all around. I have a Prime and am thinking of doing this if it works. If you have, what width and offset wheels did you use and what size tires? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
That is what the aftermarket is selling, Same size wheels for all four, so you need same size tires too.
Make sure whatever you install up front isn't large enough to rub up against the chassis, splashguards, etc, while hitting bumps and turning. Your decision to sacrifice some twitchy handling to have uniformity on all fours.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
A case had been made (by some) for the *451* to have matching wheel/tire sizes all around. Certainly, it minimized one problem (while ignoring another).

The 453, however, inherently handles freeway speeds far better than its predecessor, leaving no functional reason (if there ever was one) to match front and rear wheels/tires.

A RWD car, as is the smart, is inherently prone to oversteer. Larger tires on the rear assist the front and rear tires to slip at about the same time during cornering. Eliminating this staggered advantage will harm the 453's handling balance.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
One of the first orders of business for me if I purchased a 453 would be to put the widest tires under it that would fit, they would be the same size front and back.

The 450 and 451 still understeer with this setup. The 453 is still heavy in the rear it will still understeer.

More front end traction makes it well worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts