Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam's Club top gift this year is a 2007 lithium-powered hybrid Smart Car.

The 2007 Hybrid Technologies Lithium-powered Smart Car is a zero-emission vehicle.

The 2007 Smart comes from Hybrid Technologies. It is a Lithium-powered zero-emission vehicle. According to the article the national space center contributed space-based intelligence for the car's advanced battery system.

Sam's Club unique gift package also includes a behind-the-scenes, VIP trip to NASA's Kennedy Space Center, to witness a shuttle launch first-hand. This package is offered for $35,000. This is Sam's Club fourth year of offering Once-in-a-Lifetime packages.

You will have act fast for this unique gift package, as it will be sold to the first qualified purchaser able to complete the transaction, and there is only one of each package. In 2006, Sam's Club sold a Cessna Citation Mustang Jet for $2,734,600 sold in less than 60 seconds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2007 Smart

How can they sell a 2007 Smart car if they have not been approved by the D.O.T.?

Perhaps because it is electric?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam's Club and Hybrid Technologies

I'm not sure about the 2007 thing?

Hybrid Technologies, Inc is a development technology company focusing on the development and marketing of lithium-powered vehicles and products. They are a publicly traded company and have had some bad press.

However, their press releases and their projects are impressive. Hybrid Technologies originally developed their PT Cruiser as part of a SPACE ACT Agreement with NASA.

They have a complete line of lithium-powered products that include:

Smart Car
R-Car Chrysler Crossfire
PT Cruiser
Mini Cooper
British Embassy Mini Cooper

They claim speeds in excess of 90 mph with for over 100 mile range with zero emissions.

A few years back Jay Leno purchased a R-Car Chrysler Crossfire from them.

They also have a Roadster they call the L1X-75 Carbon Fiber Supercar with 600 horsepower.that goes 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds with a Range:100+ miles.

The car comes with a LCD Touch Screen that monitors miles remaining, power consumption, each cells' level of charge, battery temperature, drive time, distance traveled, and average speed.

They also have 3 electic motorcycles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sam's Club top gift this year is a 2007 lithium-powered hybrid Smart Car.

The 2007 Smart comes from Hybrid Technologies. It is a Lithium-powered zero-emission vehicle. According to the article the national space center contributed space-based intelligence for the car's advanced battery system.

Not sure I would want a car designed by aliens! Well, on second thought, Klingons, maybe. Romulans - definately not. Altho they did have the cloaking device. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

tm

·
Registered
564 Posts
How can they sell a 2007 Smart car if they have not been approved by the D.O.T.?

Perhaps because it is electric?
According to an interview Hybrid Technologies did with evWorld in March, the vehicle isn't currently certified for street use in the US. Being electric doesn't exempt them from the certification requirements (unless they restrict the top speed to 25mph and sell it as an NEV).

Here's a link to the interview: http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?archive=1&storyid=1204&first=4808&end=4807

So at this point you'd be buying yourself a $35,000 golf cart...:(

·
Registered
564 Posts
2007 smarts are not eligible for import to the US.

G&K's conversion is only certified for model years 2004 through 2006. Of course, Sam's Club's 2007 designation may just mean "you get it in 2007".

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
From outer space!

Tm:

Good one!!! :)

A2jack.

PS. I got up early that day to dash down to Sam's and grab that Citation, but I couldn't find my car keys. By the time I got to the store it was sold. But just as well, as flying it out of that parking lot looked pretty dicey to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts