Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I know it's been awhile and it is getting close to the mountain run date but I have been bombed with personal stuff this last few weeks. Here's some information on the upcoming run:

To accommodate club members from the Los Angles, Inland Empire and San Diego area, the start location is now at North County Fair off the I-15 freeway south of Escondido. There is a Starbucks located just inside the east entrance to the mall and there are plenty of parking, restrooms, food court, etc to meet most needs. Please check in, you will need to sign a "Hold Harmless" waver and pick up some maps if you did not download the pdf in the next day or two. This run will end at Julian, Ca and you will be on your own to travel around the area. NOTE: We will be passing a few places that sell alcoholic drinks and wine. Please do not drink while participating on the run. At Julian you are on you own so please, if you drink, drink within the limits of the law and drive carefully.

From there we will travel towards the Wild Animal Park past a winery and Ostrich Farm to the 78 and up a twisting road toward Ramona. At Romona we will stay on the 78 turning where the 67 and 78 meet. This is a left turn with a stop light. Do not continue straight through the traffic light! There should be signs directing those who are not familiar so keep an eye out.

From Romona we will travel towards San Ysabel where Dudley's is located on the left side of the road. Before getting to Dudley's there is a egg farm on the right of 78 and most times you will smell it before you get to it. They have fresh eggs if you would like to stop. At Dudley's, you will be making a left turn to get into the parking lot. Being this is the weekend - be careful crossing. You can also turn at the "T" (79) intersection and come back around to Dudley's so don't panic if you miss turning into the lot. Dudley's is a fantastic bakery that produce some very tasty goods! Enjoy.

From Dudley's we will head up another climb towards Julian. There is a view point on the right that would hold a few Smarts for those who would like to stop and take some pictures. The road will lead up past Wynola Junction and this will present a opportunity for those who would like to browse through a antique barn or shop at a farmers market before heading the rest of the way. At Julian, I have been trying to contact the chamber to see if there is a central parking area where we can meet - more information to come. At Julian you will be free to hook up with friends and other drivers and explore the town. I would like to meet for lunch at one of the restaurants - again more information to come.

If you would like to spend the night, there is a bed & breakfast (Julian Hotel) in the heart of Julian and I think there are a few others there also. Another is the Pine Hill's Lodge just before Julian on the 78. It is highly recommended that you make reservations ASAP. Julian can be a very popular weekend get-a-way.

Starbucks opens at 7:30 am and I will try to be there at that time. I would love some help with the wavers and check-in. Also, if you are familiar with the area or a great map reader, lead a group up to Julian for first timers. Check in time around 9am.

If you have any questions or suggestions please ask or contact me.

Rick Hill

www.dudleysbakery.com/

Every Saturday: "Country Market" – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Wynola Junction Antiques and Collectibles, 4326 Highway 78, (760) 765-4758

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update:

Update: 1

We hope to leave about 9:30 - 9:45 to head up to Dudley's. If there are more than 10 cars or so, I will suggest that we leave in in groups 2 to 5 min apart. The roads are single lane and after Ramona, the locals will try to pass and the gap will allow this safely. Dudley's open at 8am and has plenty of parking along the side and back, some of this may be gravel so go slow. We can again meet here for coffee, pastry and a group photos before taking off.

Once in Julian, the parking is limited. I would like to have most of us park on the main street but there might not be spaces available. After talking with the Julian Chamber of Congress, I found out parking is a major monkey on the back of Julian. There is parking at the high school but it is a little bit of a walk to Main Street. This is a mountain town and most of the side streets are on a grade. This can be a problem if you have a disability and have to find spots on some of the side streets.

I am putting together a PDF file of things to do in Julian based on information from the Chamber of Commerce in Julian. There are a number of place's to see. I would suggest the museum as a must and admission is by donation ($1- $2 the last time I was there). There will be maps in the PDF file also. I will have a limited number of copies at the mall.

This event will end at Julian where you will be able to explore the town. If a small number of Smarts show up, we may be able to all lunch at one of the pie shops or restaurant on main street. I will have more info on this later.

Rick

[divider]

PDF file for "Things to do in Julian" now posted.

[divider]

Update: 1

We hope to leave about 9:30 - 9:45 to head up to Dudley's. If there are more than 10 cars or so, I will suggest that we leave in in groups 2 to 5 min apart. The roads are single lane and after Ramona, the locals will try to pass and the gap will allow this safely. Dudley's open at 8am and has penty of parking along the side and back, some of this may be gravel so go slow. We can again meet here for coffee, pastry and a group photos before taking off.

Once in Julian, the parking is limited. I would like to have most of us park on the main street but there might not be spaces available. After talking with the Julian Chamber of Congress, I found out parking is a major monkey on the back of Julian. There is parking at the high school but it is a little bit of a walk to Main Street. This is a mountain town and most of the side streets are on a grade. This can be a problem if you have a disability and have to find spots on some of the side streets.

I am putting together a PDF file of things to do in Julian based on information from the Chamber of Commerce in Julian. There are a number of place's to see. I would suggest the museum as a must and admission is by donation ($1- $2 the last time I was there). There will be maps in the PDF file also. I will have a limited number of copies at the mall.

This event will end at Julian where you will be able to explore the town. If a small number of Smarts show up, we may be able to all lunch at one of the pie shops or restaurant on main street. I will have more info on this later.

Rick

Update: 2
Maps available in file area in .pdf format.

2 page road map: http://files.meetup.com/1041334/Julian2pgMap.pdf
Complete road map: http://files.meetup.com/1041334/JulianRunMaps.pdf

RSVP HERE if you are thinking of going - Thanks, Rick

[divider]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts