Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 961 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm just interested in when will they have my car, that information alone would be worth the visit. So lets hope that Udo can give us a little bit more information concerning our cars. So 10am it is I will see you all at the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,
I'm a 1173 but just found this forum today. Told that our smarts and the smartcentersandiego website are pushed back another two weeks.
Cant wait to hear what you find out today.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The dealer visit

Well first off - Welcome to our little place in the sun CathyQ. :D
Gene_SD, SmartShanna and I went over and ohhhhh ... did it start out disappointing. We stood around for about an hour waiting for Udo (the GM) then they got his assistant Nicolek to come out and chat ... She new less about anything than we did. That was very disappointing but evidently their hands are tied - they aren't getting any information yet either.
On the way out we swung by the showroom and OH! looks who's there ... Udo (thank goodness) ... I have to say it was a distinct pleasure speaking to him and I really hope he sticks around with Smart for a while.
Again - they really don't have any specifics on who's getting a car and when, but we were able to get some new info.

Reservations are unofficially over 40,000 as of two weeks ago but from comes from the top-top source so it may as well be official.

The cars for the west coast are coming into Long Beach, not across the country by rail.

Dealers plan to carry panels to change colors and it should take 90 minutes to do. Another post has the price around $900 for a set.

Warranty is 2 yr/24k miles but can extend it to 3 yr/36k miles or (and I was a little foggy on this) you can buy an extension to 4 yr/48K miles.

The dealers will not carry different tire/wheel options for the first year because of warrantee issues.

BRABUS should be coming to the US in 2009.

On a side note - we're going to put together a little Smart get-together for us San Diego folks. Balboa Park and margaritas, food from wherever you feel like getting it. I think we should do it after the first person (people) get their car(s) ... CathyQ - that's me and you kiddo. I'm curious - what time did you put in your reservation on March 19th? and what did you order?

·
Registered
198 Posts
roverallover left the bad news for me to put up, so here we go. The San Diego smart dealership has over a 1000+ reservations and are only expecting about 700 cars for this year. So unless we have a 30% drop rate some people won't get their car until 2009. Sorry for the bad news.:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks so much for going and getting the info for the rest of us. Lets see, the time of my reservation was 11:43am. Passion- Red/Black. You?

no one has been able to say for sure how many of us are on the San Diego list from 3/19 or how the distribution will happen (700 for the year divided by 12? so, roughly 58 a month? or some other system???). I know everyone is waiting to hear more too.
Thanks again

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welcome Cathy. Welcome to our growing group. Another one of the 1173 club, huh?
By the way, make sure to put yourself on the membership map. You will see Gene and I near the smart center. Shanna lives off of Tijuana:). You do need to zoom in before placing your icon.
Anywhoo... Welcome!

·
Registered
277 Posts
CathyQ .... looks like I got you by 14 minutes. I'm 11:29 ...
I guess we'll see if they really stick to the list. Somehow I'm sure we'll both be there at the same time fighting to sign papers first! ;)
One thing Gene_SD (and I) forgot to mention was the pacing of the deliveries.
Udo feels that it won't be an even delivery schedule ... maybe 20 in the first month, 30 in the next, gradually picking up. We (SD) were originally allotted 775 cars for the year but as Gene_SD noted, it's at 700 now. Udo says he is going to push for more cars as things "start going crazy" there.

Gene/Shannah it was nice meeting both of you today. Shannah - when are you going to fire up that blender? :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Welcome Cathy. Welcome to our growing group. Another one of the 1173 club, huh?
By the way, make sure to put yourself on the membership map. You will see Gene and I near the smart center. Shanna lives off of Tijuana:). You do need to zoom in before placing your icon.
Anywhoo... Welcome!
Oh c'mon, nscaler, we all live off of TJ :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gene and Rover,
Another thing from our visit today that wasn't mentioned: Udo's lack of surety about what will happen if someone doesn't pick-up their pre-configured smart. Remember how he first thought it might go out on the lot (he didn't say that but his eyebrows did) and then he said that it wouldn't be fair to "those of you who have waited nearly a year for your cars." So, it seems that Roger has not ironed out all the details. The one good thing is msrp is the rule! Hooray for that!
and about that blender Rover, it will travel, how about horseback riding in exchange ;)

And in general, when is a good day for a get together--we don't need to start this after we have our cars, we can get a jump on the bonding now. I say the Prado on a Sunday afternoon--Margaritas in hand a we scheme our first rally...

·
Registered
277 Posts
whew ... just a horse-ride. I thought you were going to make me let you drive my Fortwo since I get mine first. That would have been a whole different story ... ;) Here's an interesting thought: The horse is bigger and weighs more than the car (lol).

I suppose something could be worked out .... Prado sounds good though. Play it by ear - I think there's rain this weekend.

I have to agree with you on Udo's reaction ... I noticed it too ... and it would make sense from the dealer's perspective. They aren't going to get rich off the MSRP so having a "reject" on the lot gives them an opportunity to make some profit. hmmmm - just did some quick math. I think it's safe to assume they'll make at least $1000 off each car at MSRP. 700 cars - less wages and expenses that should still leave the dealership up $400K ... not bad. They could by two of those V12's we saw ... lol ...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've heard some dealers have "good friends of the dealership" who could land an orphan. So something besides cash talks as well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Rover,
You mean that $198k number with the $3k gas guzzler tax? :) Oh, and by the way, maybe when my smart comes in you can just load it up in that big a** truck of yours and deliver it ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you ask smorris real nicely, he will remove your old icon and you can place it a little closer to home. You could also just pick a nearby major intersection for privacy.
Oh yeah, I guess I did plunk it down rather indiscriminately :) Okay, I'll get smorris to fix me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Gene and Rover,
Another thing from our visit today that wasn't mentioned: Udo's lack of surety about what will happen if someone doesn't pick-up their pre-configured smart. Remember how he first thought it might go out on the lot (he didn't say that but his eyebrows did) and then he said that it wouldn't be fair to "those of you who have waited nearly a year for your cars." So, it seems that Roger has not ironed out all the details. The one good thing is msrp is the rule! Hooray for that!
A Dealer would know well in advance if he/she had no owner for an incoming car. Options are:
1. Look down the list and find someone waiting for that exact configuration.
2. Check out the other local dealers (out of this county for this smart center) list for the same configuration. Since the cars are coming into Long Beach, they could be "diverted" and Udo wouldn't have an "orphan".
3. Look up who on the list would "settle" for that configuration. No price reduction for an "upgrade". Just whatever the intended owner was going to pay.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We suggested the 1st option on your list and Udo seemed to agree. But he did stop, a bit puzzled, as he thought out what would happen if someone decided not to buy the car they configured. And the dealer most likely wouldn't know "well in advance" because when the cars come in then the customers are called (at least he thinks that's how it will go). As of yesterday he still didn't have a rez list :(

·
Super Moderator
28,834 Posts
And the dealer most likely wouldn't know "well in advance" because when the cars come in then the customers are called (at least he thinks that's how it will go). As of yesterday he still didn't have a rez list :(
Well, I gotta ask again, what happened to all the configuration info supposedly sent to the factory and tied to a specific reservation #, name and ZIP code? And now this dealer is saying they wouldn't know in advance who is getting cars from their dealership? Either PAG has really dropped the ball or this guy slept through the training sessions. :confused:

John

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Well, I gotta ask again, what happened to all the configuration info supposedly sent to the factory and tied to a specific reservation #, name and ZIP code? And now this dealer is saying they wouldn't know in advance who is getting cars from their dealership? Either PAG has really dropped the ball or this guy slept through the training sessions. :confused:

John
The lists have not yet been released to the dealers. So the dealer doesn't know, yet. When they get the list they can look it up on their computer and see EXACTLY where the car is. No ball dropped, no one caught sleeping. The dealers are clamoring for the list, should be out VERY soon to them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I feel like I am in Groundhog Day by repeating myself again.

Nothing will or can happen until the dealer is set up with smart Connect! This links them with HQ and IB. All of their information will be spoon fed to them via this link. This will include their local rezo list, pricelists, finance info, allocations, CSI reports, recall and Tech Bulletins, etc.

Coming soon to a theater near you approx 1/1/5/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:toot

21 - 40 of 961 Posts