Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 961 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,834 Posts
Me too; please read Shanna's post #37 again. He didn't say he doesn't know now; he told Shanna "dealer most likely wouldn't know "well in advance" - a totally different thing. No dealer knows now because, as you say, the list isn't out. Once the list is out they will know exactly who has cars reserved in their area and should call to get the purchase process going, not wait until the cars come in. The reserver (us) has 30 days to take the deal; the car isn't an orphan until the buyer rejects the car [could be 1 day or 30 days.] At that point the car is an orphan and the dealer can go to the options in nscaler's post. Peace.

John

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If you ask smorris real nicely, he will remove your old icon and you can place it a little closer to home. You could also just pick a nearby major intersection for privacy.
Okay, I am no longer in the waters off of Tijuana (or won't be as soon as smorris edits) but in Normal Heights where I belong. Well, not the normal part, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I guess what we are talking about is after the information is available. The following is just supposition:
The dealer would contact the soon-to-be-owner when the car is built. Arrangements- financing... Paperwork. Hopefully prospective owner is contacted. Everything is fine - ship car to USA. Owner not found or changed mind - move down the list. Since the car is still in France, no problem of destination yet. Since there are only so many combinations of:
Pure, Passion and Cabrio.
Tridon color.
Interior color.
Options are actually probably removeable. Easy to add.
So with, what 40,000 people waiting, move on down the list. Change the destination.
I know they can track VIN numbers. The Canadians have been tracking their cars.
So the car is sold probably in France or at the distribution center.

But, hey, this is not my problem. They have had time to check out how the Canadians and Mexicans have been doing it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hopefully prospective owner is contacted. Everything is fine - ship car to USA. Owner not found or changed mind - move down the list. Since the car is still in France, no problem of destination yet.
Except that after confirmation, the car has all ready been produced and shipped to the dealer. The first few waves are on the boat and will arrive at the dealers in starting in a couple of weeks (YEAAA!). If those are cancelled, they become orphans that the dealer will sell to anyone he can at MSRP. Who they will be offered to is determined by the dealer, and we've been hearing lots of different ways the dealers are going to sell those cars.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If a person (let's say jwight - just for example) goes to the trouble of putting down the $99, they want the car. They fill out the confirmation e-mail (6 months to think about it), I doubt there will be very many cancellations. So what we are talking about is, what 2%?
And since there is now a "sudden" interest in the smart, buy the car anyway and sell for a profit. Maybe. Those who really want the car, but don't want to wait a year, may want to pay extra for a car now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rover,
You mean that $198k number with the $3k gas guzzler tax? :) Oh, and by the way, maybe when my smart comes in you can just load it up in that big a** truck of yours and deliver it ;)
Delivery is extra ... besides, you'd get yours confused with mine. But then ... I could end up with a little newer one ... yeeeeeeaaaaaah ... ;)

There was a link to the Canadian forum where I read the red interior wasn't really that red ... more of an orange color. You might want to check into it. Make sure it's a shade that'll match the hair ... speaking of which I had to crack up at your left-hand redhead blue-eyed whatchyamacallit ... I just saw all those posts. Seems you have a fan club!

·
Registered
277 Posts
not me .... I'd love one but A) I'm at the beach a lot and it would be nothing for someone to slash the top and snag my stuff and B) yeah, the tridion is strong, but cutting the top beams makes me think it'll fold in half real easy if (heaven forbid) it gets sandwiched. I prefer just that little bit more connected metal - the full egg so to structurally speak. The Passion has the polycarb roof so I'll get warm enough that way.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If a person (let's say jwight - just for example) goes to the trouble of putting down the $99, they want the car. They fill out the confirmation e-mail (6 months to think about it), I doubt there will be very many cancellations. So what we are talking about is, what 2%?
And since there is now a "sudden" interest in the smart, buy the car anyway and sell for a profit. Maybe. Those who really want the car, but don't want to wait a year, may want to pay extra for a car now.
We've talked a lot about attrition rates. So far 10% of the reservations drop out when asked to confirm. And smart isn't asking for any more money at that point. I think another 10-15% may drop out when asked to sign on the line. Many have not even seen the car in person yet. I say look for about a 15-20% drop out when all is said and down. The drop out rate will even get bigger the longer people have to wait.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
What is the drop out rate of 10~15% from a 50,000 $99 reservation group in relationship to number of 2008 cars imported?

Do not think the $99 reservation are up around 50,000? hummm... Perhaps it is still around 45~47K but.... I bet by 30 Jan they exceed 50K

·
Registered
46 Posts
the 8th is the magic day!

Got this from: http://forum.smartcar451.com/forum2/83.html

As has been reported here the primary holdup has been state licensing for the dealers.

There are a significant number of cars here at the ports and they are ready to roll. There are no issues with emissions or anything else.

They are using three ports, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Long Beach.

There will be an all dealers conference call on the evening of the 8th of January. That night Fed-X packages will go out to all open dealers that will contain the information of reservations and cars assigned to them. So they will have that info on the 9th or 10th and should start to contact the reservationists.

Cars will be dispatched from the ports beginning on the 14th to the dealerships.

Cars will be shipped to your dealer (assigned by zip code) if your dealer will have his showroom open before Feb 1. If your assigned dealer will not be open until after Feb 1 and you have an early reservation your car will be shipped and you will be contacted by the closest dealer to you that is open when your car is available.

For Central Florida folks there will be 4 dealers-Sarasota, Clearwater, Tampa and Orlando. Sarasota is open now, Orlando is scheduled to open Jan 20 and the others will be later this spring.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
From an email this morning:

Shanna:

We are anxiously awaiting the Dealer Launch Kit that should be arriving today.

I will keep you posted….

Thanks,
Udo Kaiser
Director, smart center San Diego

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ha Ha! Just scrolled down below the first couple of threads which I normally read and found a plethora of regional sites. (Also figured out where Shanna had disappeared to.) :) May have to ask (beg) to be an honorary SoCal member as the dealer here in Vegas has fallen through and I have no idea where my car will end up. :confused:

tm

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ha Ha! Just scrolled down below the first couple of threads which I normally read and found a plethora of regional sites. (Also figured out where Shanna had disappeared to.) :) May have to ask (beg) to be an honorary SoCal member as the dealer here in Vegas has fallen through and I have no idea where my car will end up. :confused:

tm
Hey Shack, nice to see you! I was out of town for a few days--my annual trip to Paris with Roger P--shhh, don't tell :) Actually away on business is more like it. Plus I was experiencing a little forum burn-out...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Early Reserver Request

When chatting with your dealers, please ask and post what the reservation range they are working with for January deliveries and their total preliminary report. It would interesting to see what the Ranges are and how they are distributed across the state.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It doesn't appear that on the paper lists they got today that they have the confirmation numbers/dates. BH Benz is getting 37 cars next week.

41 - 60 of 961 Posts