Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I was hoping someone could suggest a shop that they have taken their Smart Car to for an oil change. I bought the filter from the Mercedes Benz/Smart Center and would like to have my oil change done elsewhere but preferably not somewhere that's never seen or worked on a smart.

Thanks for the help in advance!

· Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
575 Posts
Did my first change myself this weekend. Simple. 15/16ths wrench and a pair of channel-locks to remove the filter. 10 minute job.

Backed the rear wheels up onto my ramps and never even had to get 'under' the car.

Jim

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, actually, I've heard from many that doing it yourself is easy. But I'd really like to have a professional do it for me. What I need is a non-dealer reccommendation in SF to make that happen. Thanks for the comment though.

· Administrator
30,049 Posts
FWIW, any oil change shop or good mechanic can do this; you may have to explain locations of things to them but other than that it's a simple job. Good time to do it since Advance Auto Parts is having a sale on Mobil 1 oil and filters. :)

· Banned
3,861 Posts
The oil change is very straightforward, and the filter and drain plug are obvious and accesible. All that is necessary is a proper filter and fullly-synthetic oil. The only thing that is a little out of the ordinary is that the oil pump pickup screen is attached to the drain plug, and care should be exercised to not damage it. There is a photo of the plug and screen here somewhere.

· Registered
414 Posts
Even if you don't do they change yourself, I'd still recommend purchasing Mobil 1 oil wherever you find on sale-- and buying a good discounted aftermarket filter (like the Bosch 3300). Kragen periodically has the 3300 on sale at a great price (...and permits you to purchase 3 or 4 at-a-time, at their sale price.) A genuine bargain...
Many garages will allow you to provide your own parts--you'll obviously pay labor, tax and hazmat fees. I'd call around to a couple of your local SF garages--you'll likely find one that will accomodate you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.