Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 3 weeks of owning my new 2017 smart electric I can honestly say that I love this thing! I'm tracking my smart using 'My EV App' on the Apple Store, so far I get on average around 145 kilometres per charge (around 80 miles) and only loose around 10kms (6 miles) when the AC or heater is on so that's pretty good. Our temperature here is 4c or 39f. I have the 'winter' package if that's something new.

I am however not as impressed with Mercedes, I have received my VCC code and have attempted many times to start using the 'My Smart' web app on IOS and I've even tried on Android, every time it says 'Error occurred on VCC Processing'. My salesperson also bought and received his smart at the same time I did. I requested my VCC code and he got his as well. He was successful, first pass, on getting the app working but no such luck with me. He said its a problem that Mercedes is looking into but it's been 3 weeks and still nothing. So I can't remotely see anything about the car which these days is pretty normal for electric cars.

Do you or others have any experience with this? I received a response from Mercedes Canada that said this app is not available in North America yet my salesperson is using it... Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you're talking about the "EVAccess" app, I noticed some months ago that it was no longer available for IOS. Since then, I've moved to android and EVAccess continues to be available there. There's also the vehicle homepage which seems to only work with Chrome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I'm referring to is called the 'Smart App' and has never been available on the IOS store, it's just a 'web' app. The thing is that my salesperson who has an IOS device has it working no problem, I just can't get mine working and we both have the same IOS device..

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just bought my (used) smart ED a few days ago and asked for the VVC number before leaving dealership. He gave me the 2 pages with vvc# and instructions and I was on my way home.

I had to stop on the way home to charge a bit and used my iPhone 7+ and safari to set everything up and it worked without issues.

I went to vh.smart.com to do this.

Once you’re logged in you can press the “share” button and choose add to home screen for a quick link.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Spentit, yeah it does look like Mercedes has to just associate your VIN with your VVC. I see exactly what Johannes posted, only problem being that on the login page, it says to keep the login active for 120 days but I have to re-enter my password every two or three days. I'm not sure that the extra information it provides is worth the extra hassle of having to re-einter my password as the EVAccess app provides me what I really need to know, which is what the SOC and estimated full charge time is. I would think I'd only use the location service on the smart app, but there are other apps to help with finding where you parked your car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Johannes and InjuredAgain. What a great forum! I just downloaded EVAccess on my Android (I have both IOS and Android) and after logging in, it just spins away - I think it's because I have yet to connect my login with a valid VVC.

Johannes, I think the clue that you've given me is that I was not provided with a two page anything. My sales rep just gave me my VVC by email, nothing else. I figure (but I have asked) that he gave me the wrong VVC or serial number or something like that - it's frustrating because now instead of trying to help me, he defers to Mercedes as 'having a problem' and until it's resolved, there's not much he can do. I've asked for escalation to either Mercedes or the dealership but was assured by him that there's nothing that can be done until Mercedes solves the issue. I just feel suspicious given that his works just fine and we both use iPhone 7 plus. I have however tried the same thing on my Android devices using Android 5.x and 6.x with no success either.

I think I'll have to ask for this two page document to confirm the information..

Just realized that my smart images were upside down..

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Spentit, yeah it does look like Mercedes has to just associate your VIN with your VVC. I see exactly what Johannes posted, only problem being that on the login page, it says to keep the login active for 120 days but I have to re-enter my password every two or three days. I'm not sure that the extra information it provides is worth the extra hassle of having to re-einter my password as the EVAccess app provides me what I really need to know, which is what the SOC and estimated full charge time is. I would think I'd only use the location service on the smart app, but there are other apps to help with finding where you parked your car.

So far it has kept me logged in, but I’m only on day 3. Also since this is safari based, it’s very easy to log in again if you save the password (One click sign in).

I get it can be frustrating, but I’m not switching out all my iOS devices just for an android app.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. I'm glad I have all OS's here as I'm a developer so I test my software on various OS versions. At least I was able to discount the platform. Now, I will ask for the 2 pages when I talk to my rep next. Thanks..

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree. I'm glad I have all OS's here as I'm a developer so I test my software on various OS versions. At least I was able to discount the platform. Now, I will ask for the 2 pages when I talk to my rep next. Thanks..

Here you go. No need to wait for dealer/sales.

Not sure if that will help you. It’s just what I got when I asked for the vvc.

It should already be expired but still seems to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very very much. I'm pretty convinced I was given the wrong VVC code, I'll explore this starting tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
VVC is not functional with the smart 453 EV's at this time. Used smart 451's also may lose access to the VVC system once it has been in effect for 3 years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mister_Smart_LA. The only variable here which keeps me going is that the salesperson who sold me the car, also bought a 2017 Smart Electric and we both had ours delivered the same week. He wasn't even aware of the smart app until I asked about my code. Then he got his and mine - he got his working right away while I can't get mine to work at all.

If it's going to be discontinued in some way, then my hopes are that Mercedes comes up with an app to replace it as it's the only way to measure how the car is charging if you're not connected at home. Some of the level 2 chargers that I've been using are not networked, so having the app is really convenient. My only other observation in looking around for an electric car is that they all have an app to go with it.

I was recently in Europe and met many folks who had electric smarts of all ages and enjoy the app for what it was designed to do. So hopefully it keeps going. Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts