Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this problem pop up fo any other on the board in the past. So, I thought I would create this tread to help anybody with this problem down the road. Could be in the Scan Gauge manual.... but who reads those.

I have owned a scan gauge since they have been in the market. It has always been attached in my 99 Rialta ( a VW Eurovan based motorhome). For some reason the V6 is always throwing a code here and there especially in wet conditions. Have lived with it for years. Never a problem clearing the codes while driving.

Now I have owned smarts since 2008 and never had a CEL until today that is. On the way to the bike trail Max decided to throw a code. So I pulled the Scan Gauge from the Rialta to see what it was. Ah the old PO455 (loose gas cap). Sure enough some how the cap was indeed loose on my new to me 2014 Cabrio and without any warning light on the dash.

Tightened the cap and started up the smart to erase the code. All I got was a No Response message on the Scan Gauge and CEL stayed on. Tried several times but couldn't erase the code. During an internet search I found a thread on a MB board where the OP had the same problem. The answer was don't try to erase the code with the engine running. Turn the key to position one (lights on the dash only), clear the code and all is well.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I have always erased codes with the ignition just on, no motor running. Once the the code is cleared, I shut off the switch and then restart the car. I do the same with other scanners I have too.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know right. but the thing is I have used this same scan gauge on my Rialta for many years without shutting down the engine. Works every time. Don't remember reading anything about it either. Maybe it's a MB thing. But doesn't seem to be VW thing. Oh Well.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I have used my SG on 2 different Chevys, Land Rover, Buick, Ford, and a Saturn with no problems. Usually it resides in the smart to monitor things as I drive..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts