Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka 'darksidechoes'
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Got my Scangauge the other day. It's pretty cool but I am debating if it's worth the $159.99. I may use it for a week and look into my mileage.

It would be nice to have a tach and to monitor temperatures since the dash left those out. Reading codes is nice too but is it even a good scanning tool?

The car has a 10 gallon tank? I read it has 10 but 1.3 or so gallons are in reserve, is that correct?

Do other people just go by how many miles they get a tank or so? I wouldn't know what else to do. I remember reading that when you hit 200 miles on half a tank, you're doing A-OKAY.

Just seems like another toy for those who want to play. It is a neat tool and it works but was wondering if there is anything else out there that is cheaper that does almost the same. The bluetooth ones I read are cheap.

·
aka 'darksidechoes'
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting I cannot find that on Amazon lol. I'm torn between using it efficiently and knowing that in two weeks I probably won't even be looking at it anymore.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had the scan gauge for years, sold it and bought the ultra gauge.
Nice thing about the ultra gauge is you can set alarms for various things such as low voltage (fan belt breaks) or coolant temperature.
I personally like the ultra gauge way better, have it in two rigs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Interesting I cannot find that on Amazon lol. I'm torn between using it efficiently and knowing that in two weeks I probably won't even be looking at it anymore.
I monitor my UG with more regularity than I do Munchkin's standard instrumentation, as I believe it visually shows me, and at times audibly tells me, more critical information.

It may be that my experience with piloting aircraft is a factor here, as pilots, more than many, if not most, drivers, are accustomed to the importance of prompt indications of things perhaps not going right.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The smart engine has been known to overheat without any warning. The factory never addressed this issue and this can be very expensive. So the UG is a great insurance for the money.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The smart engine has been known to overheat without any warning. The factory never addressed this issue and this can be very expensive. So the UG is a great insurance for the money.
This is true, but since I have the Evans Waterless coolant and have tracked it for a long time now, I must say, I almost NEVER look at the WT anymore :wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
This is true, but since I have the Evans Waterless coolant and have tracked it for a long time now, I must say, I almost NEVER look at the WT anymore :wink:
Doesn't matter what type of coolant is in the engine. "If" the serpentine belt breaks the water pump(and alternator)quit turning and the engine over heats, sometimes very quickly according to past posts.
That's why I have my ultra gauge warnings set for both engine temp and voltage.
If the belt breaks the voltage drops within seconds.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Doesn't matter what type of coolant is in the engine. "If" the serpentine belt breaks the water pump(and alternator)quit turning and the engine over heats, sometimes very quickly according to past posts.
Agreed :)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
What numbers have you chosen for the temperature in Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
78 Posts
what about OBD-II and torque on your phone? or does the Smart not support this? (I havent tried it yet, I just got the car 2 days ago)..

-Christopher

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mh ScangaugeII just started getting quirky. Top line of display won't show anything (some pixels pulsing very quickly if you look very closely). At the same time, my Garmin GPS is saying I don't have the right power cord plugged in to get live traffic reports. (Same Garmin cord I've been using.)

I tried to reset the SCII and tried looking here and on SC site for troubleshooting. No real luck. I thought about sending it in for an upgrade figuring that might reset and update everything - unless it's an actual physical problem with the display. I was thinking $25 for an update is cheaper than a new SCII - unless it doesn't work.

Before doing any of this, I decided to come back here and look for the alternatives I knew had been discussed. I've used the SCII since right after I got my 2008 Passion. I have to admit, I like the price of the UltraGauge better an the display looks like it is more readable.

I was glad to have the SGII when I started getting my check engine light. I looked up the code here and had some work done (twice) to fix problems (P2188 code I think it was). When the CEL came on again right after the last repair I was exasperated. Then I saw the suggesting of turning the key on but not starting the engine and then clearing the code. That worked. We have emissions checks, so I knew I would have to resolve the issue before my registration comes due again, and this really helped.

So, I believe I'm off to get an UltraGauge unless anyone has better advice on something that may have come out since these SGII vs. UG discussions tapered off. I'd rather use a fixed installation than my phone, though I probably could take an old phone with Bluetooth and set it up as a display and leave it in the car. Still that sounds like a compromise. I know I don't want to be starting a phone app and mounting and plugging in my phone's power cord every time I get in and out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Back in 2009 when my car burned up and I got my new one, I had some strange things come up on my ScangaugeII and I emailed them. they replaced it without even blinking. They were easy to work with back then. Not sure about now. Still have my SGII and it is in the 3rd smart, and has spent time in a few other cars as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts