Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any tips on setting up a Scangauge II on a 451. I set mine to 3ltr enging and 8 gal tank. Then I adjusted the speed up 3 MPH. I also found a pretty close match for the backlight color but I have not set anything else.

What should the closed/open loop setting be?

TIA

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just got mine last week. You need to change it to 1.0 litre. It's not 3 litre. once you do this, you will get more accurate MPG readings. Mine was off the map. On a highway cruise, I would get 34, 38, 45, 32, 48, 55, and even a few near 100 mpg as I was coasting.

I find that the optimum MPG occurs between 60-65mph.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Open/Closed loop is not a setting. It is the operating state of the computer. It will be "open" until the engine/sensors reach operating temp, at which time it will change to "closed"

Under setup, set it to "1.0 ltr"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got mine last week. You need to change it to 1.0 litre. It's not 3 litre. once you do this, you will get more accurate MPG readings. Mine was off the map. On a highway cruise, I would get 34, 38, 45, 32, 48, 55, and even a few near 100 mpg as I was coasting.

I find that the optimum MPG occurs between 60-65mph.
Yeah I really DO have the dumb today. I meant 1 ltr.

It came out of the box set to 3ltr but I changed it to 1 ltr about ten secondes after it woke up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Curent trip mpg gauge

If you haven't already, be sure to create an xGauge for Current Trip MPG. This will allow you to see instantaneous mpg and the mpg for the current trip at the same time.
How to do this is described in the manual. It is fairly easy but somewhat time consuming.

John

·
Registered
545 Posts
Scangauge and warranty???

Has anyone gotten any negative response from the dealers regarding warranty and using the scanguage or does everyone take them out when you go in for service...

Like a dummy, I asked the service manager for advice and he is emailing the smartUSA to get an official answer for me...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone know the color settings to match the colors of the gauges.

I have seen it posted before but I can't find it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Has anyone gotten any negative response from the dealers regarding warranty and using the scanguage or does everyone take them out when you go in for service...

Like a dummy, I asked the service manager for advice and he is emailing the smartUSA to get an official answer for me...

Thoughts?
It has no effect on your car. It's just reading information provided by the car's systems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I think mine is something like Red: 2, Green:1 and Blue:0 but I will check later.

I also have not been able to locate a list of trouble codes on the wonder-net here.

*Not that I in any way expect the smart fortwo will ever have anything like a flaw, fault, blemish, defect, bug, shortcoming, issue, imperfection, deficiency, inadequacy, insufficiency, stain, weakness, drawback or anything that might be called a problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts

post #49 on scangauge:

"I played with mine last night and found "0 blue" "3 red" and "1 green" to be a pretty close match to full bright smart color."

·
Registered
449 Posts
let me know what is found about warranty info regarding the scangauge... I never would have thought it would have been an issue...

·
Registered
545 Posts
let me know what is found about warranty info regarding the scangauge... I never would have thought it would have been an issue...
The potential is there for a beginner/reckless user to screw up the computer if they start "sending" commands to the computer... This would be the only reason I can see them saying "no go"

Then on the other hand, what you take out of the car before you go to the dealer won't hurt them... I understand it is just a simple plug, if you mount it with a magnet the dealer would never know it was there...

But then you always have to worry about the tech that can't find an issue, so they blame it on the non-oem device... Even if smartUSA okays it's use...

Its a risk either way, but I think the benefit of owning the scangauge is more important... ( I ordered it yesterday.)

I will still share what I learn from the service manager... He seems be to having a hard time getting an answer from smartUSA. Could be a while if they choose to do some research...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I appreciate the quick response. I'll be sure to take mine out when I go in then. I used a handy 3M Command strip to mount it, and it's holding beautifully... but will pull off with an easy pull of the tab. Just kind of a pain... But hey... only once a year. :eek:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
It can clear codes, but does not have the ability to "write" back to the computer. You can not make any program changes using a ScanGuage
Quoted from the website:

http://www.scangauge.com/features/scantool.shtml

"The ScanGauge II can be used to clear the trouble codes and data which will turn off the warning (Check Engine, Service Engine soon, etc.) lamp."

"» Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer"

For warranty purposes they might have an issue with the customer having this ability....

I DUNNO... Will keep ya posted.... :confused:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts