Smart Car of America Forum banner

Scangauge II - (Factory Look) Install

47K views 68 replies 44 participants last post by  wahi 
#1 · (Edited)

Here is my flush "factory look" install of Scangauge II
If anyone is interested, I took some pictures during install, so I can post DIY step by step.

Cube

Here we go!

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! ;-)
Tools: DREMEL

WARNING: English is not my primary language, so bear with me.

STEP 1
Remove Visors and Overhead Console ( you will see the screws ).
Pull down and then push forward. It took me two minutes to remove it.
Be careful, there are two wires there. One is Dome light and second is PASSENGER AIRBAG light. Unplug AIRBAG light and remove it. You will need to push the DOME LIGHT out first, then you will be able to unplug it. It sounds complicated, but it is not.

STEP 2
Disassemble SCANGAUGE. There are 4 screws in the back. Now you have three pieces: FRONT BEZEL, BACK BEZEL and ELECTRONICS
You will need to trim front and back bezels so it will match curves of the Overhead Console. I used a DREMEL tool. You can probably use some other tools, but I think that DREMEL is the best tool for this job.

RED LINE is original curve
GREEN LINE is new curve
You will need to shave about 1mm.

STEP 3
Cut an opening in OVERHEAD console. Take your time to measure it. I used painters tape to mark an opening, because I didn't want to mark it with a pencil. Opening should be just a little bit SMALLER than front bezel of the SCANGAUGE. When you done cutting, front bezel should be able to be flush mounted. TAKE YOUR TIME MEASURING!!!

STEP 4

Now you will need to trim back bezel of SCANGAUGE.
This one is easy one. You will only need to trim about 1/8 inch or less on the sides outlined by GREEN boxes. It is compensating for the thickness of the OVERHEAD Console plastic. When you will mount SG it will look like a sandwich: FRONT BEZEL > OVERHEAD CONSOLE > BACK BEZEL with electronics inside.
If you decided to do it, you will understand what I talking about.

STEP 5

Assemble SG together on the Overhead Console (PIC above).
To wire SG I used 7ft CAT 5 cable with coupler from Home Depot.
Wire routed thru the pillar on the driver side and then connected to the SG cable with coupler under the dash.

SIDE NOTES:

With this mod you will loose PASSENGER AIRBAG light. YOU WILL NEED TO PLUG IT BACK and leave it behind the overhead console. If you will leave it unplugged, you will have airbag warning light on your instrument cluster.

PASSENGER AIRBAG LIGHT is just 3 led lights connected by only two wires.
It can be easily relocated or I might replace it with ONE LED light similar to the LEDS installed in aftermarket security systems.

Also, I know that I will not be able to move SG from one car to another to monitor millage or check RPM, BUT I still will be able to use it as a SCAN tool to check and clear codes on ANY car. All I need is to park my smart next to the other car.

;-)

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

My next mod is to ad 120V socket USB ports and additional 12V sockets.

Good luck

CUBE

See less See more
#10 ·
Cube

You have done a very nice install. I have been looking at that spot but have been too busy driving the car to try it. I also had not opened up the scanguage to look at it.

Having done it, do you think there would be enough room to move the scanguage opening upward enough in order to retain the air bag light in its original spot?

Again, you should be proud of your work.
Paul

#11 ·
oldbike,
You only see the small part of Airbag light. It's actual size is about 1x2x1.5.
So there is not much space for both. But again as I said before It is only connected by two wires and can be easily relocated, even somewhere down to the instrument cluster, stereo or glove box. I need to think where I want to put it. :)

CUBE

#14 ·
While we are up there - Rear view mirror?

Has anyone considered replacing the rear view mirror with an automatic one, maybe even with a compass in it?
I was thinking about using the mirror from my towncar (I installed it originally, and the car if only good for junk now) I wonder if it would work?
Thoughts, ideas, etc?

#15 · (Edited)
Has anyone considered replacing the rear view mirror with an automatic one, maybe even with a compass in it?
I was thinking about using the mirror from my towncar (I installed it originally, and the car if only good for junk now) I wonder if it would work?
Thoughts, ideas, etc?
Done that. Mine is self dimming, compass, home-link garage door opener and cabin air temperature. Like it very much but it is wider than the stock and interferes with the driver's sun visor.

#25 ·
You sir, are an artist. Nice job. Thanks for the detailed photos and "How-To".

And as to your disclaimer: "WARNING: English is not my primary language, so bear with me.", I know way too many folks whose primary language IS English and who cannot express themselves as well as you.

CUBE,
I have to agree with dancote! I would say MOST people whose first language is English are not as eloquent as you sir ! We salute you and thank you so much for your postings :). May the smart be with you :smartje: :D :spots:

#24 ·
rgwellsjr,

You will need to remove two screws, one is for the roof trim on the driver side (this one you will see once Overhead Console is removed). You will not need to remove it completely, just pry one side next to the windshield. Under there is another screw for the driver side pillar. Take the screw out and you will be able to remove the pillar.

Good luck

CUBE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.