Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving to Maine tomorrow to buy a Smart 2015 Passion ED. This will be my first EV, so I don't know how much range to expect. I have the option to ship the car. I don't know, yet, how much that will cost. Or, I can turn in my rental car (my car was totaled last weekend, hence the new Smart) and drive the new Smart home. Do you think I can drive the 152 mile trip, 99% highway in 50s weather, tomorrow with one stop to fast charge, or is that pushing too much? I think if I need to stop to charge twice I would rather pay to ship. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Do you think I can drive the 152 mile trip, 99% highway in 50s weather, tomorrow with one stop to fast charge, or is that pushing too much? I think if I need to stop to charge twice I would rather pay to ship. Thanks!
With one "Level 2" charge, probably not as highway speeds and low temperature will likely impact the "listed" 68 mile range of a 451.

My SWAG, your EV inexperience combined with the other negative influences would probably reduce the range by 15%?

For a new ED owner range anxiety can be brutal, may not be the best way to get your initiation into EV ownership?

If it's a dealer, tell them they are "beyond range" and they need to deliver it to your driveway.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Even on Level 2, will that be a quick charge, and would you be able to find such charger dead center of the trip? Ship if two charges would be an issue. Charging takes longer as the battery starts getting full....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Highway speeds are not friendly to a 451 ED. Even during our mild summers, I wouldn't recommend planning for more than 60-65 miles on a full charge. Slight headwinds can reduce highway range by 5-10%.

I agree with MB DNA, you'll get more efficient and squeeze out more range with experience driving an EV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. The rental car doesn't need to be returned until the end of the week, so default plan is to just test drive and then have the 451 delivered. Neither I or my friend that's coming for the ride NEED to be anywhere at a specific time today, but I doubt he'd want to make the trip 6 hours longer. I can only ask.

The dealer wants me to pay shipping, not sure what a "small fee" is to a Mercedes-Benz dealer.

Unrelated, has anyone found a GOOD solution to transport kayaks with a Smart? I know I cannot mount anything on the roof, but can mount to the safety cell as long as the mounting does not alter (say screw holes) the cell at all.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Here you go..... yak wise that is:

This is Max at Acadia National Park in Maine a while ago. The trailer is a rack and roll which is know sold by Yakama. Good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Unrelated, has anyone found a GOOD solution to transport kayaks with a Smart? I know I cannot mount anything on the roof, but can mount to the safety cell as long as the mounting does not alter (say screw holes) the cell at all.
On a Facebook group called "SMART FORTWO", a person from Texas recently posted photos of a roof mounted, two kayak carrier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm driving to Maine tomorrow to buy a Smart 2015 Passion ED. This will be my first EV, so I don't know how much range to expect. I have the option to ship the car. I don't know, yet, how much that will cost. Or, I can turn in my rental car (my car was totaled last weekend, hence the new Smart) and drive the new Smart home. Do you think I can drive the 152 mile trip, 99% highway in 50s weather, tomorrow with one stop to fast charge, or is that pushing too much? I think if I need to stop to charge twice I would rather pay to ship. Thanks!
Definitely ship. Using charging stations is tricky. It takes a while to learn all the ins and outs. The Smart Car will be fun for driving in the Five College Area, but any kind of long distance trip is a chore. You would probably need to stop for a charge 2 or 3 times. Driving 80 mph is fun, but it really uses up the battery charge fast. If you drove at fifteen mph the whole way, you could probably make it on one charge, but that is something that will never happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Maybe ask the dealer to flatbed it halfway or to the state line with a full charge and you take if from there.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 4,000 miles

·
Registered
33 Posts
FWIW, I made it 72 miles with a couple good inclines along the way when I drove mine home. I drove 50-55 with the HVAC off and arrived home with 15-20% of charge left. If you drive slow and steady, you could probably do it with just one charge.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Whenever we deliver electric smart cars to customers in Maine/NH/Vermont/NY/etc, we either arrange shipping if customer is willing to pay for it or offer to drive the car to a charging station that is as away far as possible from the dealership and meet the customer there.

We have a driver drop off car at charging station 60+/- miles away from us and as close as possible to the customer's home given the range of the car, then that driver gets a ride back to dealer. 3 or 6 hours later, I'd meet the customer at the charging station to hand over keys and a fully charged car that is 60 miles closer to their home than the dealership would have been. It takes some advance planning (and a chargepoint card) but smart clients and Mercedes clients should get the same level of treatment when buying from the same dealership.

That said, I've driven EV smarts to western MA and Maine, but from from Maine to Western MA. I would have recommended charging in Portsmouth NH to top off, full charge up in Lowell, and a full recharge in Leominster to get home.

How did it go?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Whenever we deliver electric smart cars to customers in Maine/NH/Vermont/NY/etc, we either arrange shipping if customer is willing to pay for it or offer to drive the car to a charging station that is as away far as possible from the dealership and meet the customer there.

It takes some advance planning (and a chargepoint card) but smart clients and Mercedes clients should get the same level of treatment when buying from the same dealership.
BRILLIANT!

Some folks do get it BUT sadly, this philosophy is not carried out among the remaining smart Center family. In many cases, this small "favor" could seal the deal or for lack of such "courtesy," could kill the deal?

You go Dan . . . :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up paying to have the car delivered. The dealership didn't release the car the first time the hauler wanted to pick it up, bumped to "next afternoon". The time then got bumped a bunch more times til they eventually tried for tomorrow. I put my foot down and said the car needed to be delivered today, or I needed a refund. They delivered it, but didn't give notice that they were coming an hour early. Crappy shipping experience, but I have my 451 and the charging cable (juuust) reaches my parking spot. W00t!

Edit: Also played with the recovery paddles on a short drive and managed to be pretty efficient. (81%)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Sometimes the chargers can be stolen. Be careful if it is a public accessible parking spot. Some have used long extension cords and kept the charger inside the vehicle with wire let out a crack in window...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going to buy that car, but you beat me to it! Looks great with a good set of options on it. Enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts