Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow smarties!!

My car is seven years old but only has 20K miles. Should I follow the seven year/70K maintenance schedule even though I have so few miles? Thanks. I know this has some nuance (i.e. it is not a black and white question). Would love to hear the reasons for decision making. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
How many times has it been serviced so far? A basic annual service is required independent of the mileage. Assuming the car has no major issues, I don't see a need for the 70K service. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
In the seven years, of ownership. How many times, have you changed your oil. In your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks jwight.

Smark: I have changed the oil six times. Once, every year: save for this year in which it has been about 18 months since I have changed the oil due to Covid-19.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Oops, that's 6 months overdue, but some would say 2 yrs is okay, in which case you have 6 months to go.

I'm guilty of years myself...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
I've got no problem with going two years on my E300D - 20 years old with 220K miles. But I did have an oil analysis done after a year several years ago before I went to the two year route. Analysis indicated that the oil was still in excellent condition. I also did one at the end of two years after the first time I did it I think and again the oil checked out just fine. I probably put 4K miles a year on it at the most.

Len

1 - 6 of 6 Posts