Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow smarties!!

My car is seven years old but only has 20K miles. Should I follow the seven year/70K maintenance schedule even though I have so few miles? Thanks. I know this has some nuance (i.e. it is not a black and white question). Would love to hear the reasons for decision making. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,259 Posts
How many times has it been serviced so far? A basic annual service is required independent of the mileage. Assuming the car has no major issues, I don't see a need for the 70K service. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
In the seven years, of ownership. How many times, have you changed your oil. In your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jwight.

Smark: I have changed the oil six times. Once, every year: save for this year in which it has been about 18 months since I have changed the oil due to Covid-19.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Oops, that's 6 months overdue, but some would say 2 yrs is okay, in which case you have 6 months to go.

I'm guilty of years myself...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
I've got no problem with going two years on my E300D - 20 years old with 220K miles. But I did have an oil analysis done after a year several years ago before I went to the two year route. Analysis indicated that the oil was still in excellent condition. I also did one at the end of two years after the first time I did it I think and again the oil checked out just fine. I probably put 4K miles a year on it at the most.

Len

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2008 smart passion with 169,700 miles and I have always used Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic oil, WIX filter and I change both every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
At 3000 miles per oil change 6 would be right. For 20,000 miles now if the recommendation is to change oil onces a year no matter the miles then 6 is still right with a possible oil change due now.
As far as service schedule the 70,000 mile service is the same as the 20,000 mile service The 40,000 mile service is the more intense service. The 60,000 mile
Service one of the most severe. So I would opt for the 20,000 mile service with a inspection of the drive belts to insure the are in good shape.
And Even with the low miles insure that you lube all pivot point and rust prone points to keep the car supple and in good order. How about a picture of that cream puff. Mine is almost 7 years old just approaching 60,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts