Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership estimated the damage to make it look perfect again would have been around ten grand in parts (plus labor), much of that would not have been needed, since I consider blemishes to not be a problem... The insurence has declared it a total lose, and is repaying me around 12 or 13 grand for it. They've told me (I had to force the information out of them), that if I want to keep it it would cost me just shy of three grand.

So should I let them take it? Or is there a use to having a car that is not quite drivable? (the engine turns on fine and all that, but there are flat tires from the rollover accident). and I know the front shock absobors are finished, and apparently the back ones are bent.

For the record... I am likely going to buy another one to replace it, as this is the most roomy car, and apparently the safest I have ever been in.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
The dealership estimated the damage to make it look perfect again would have been around ten grand in parts (plus labor), much of that would not have been needed, since I consider blemishes to not be a problem... The insurence has declared it a total lose, and is repaying me around 12 or 13 grand for it. They've told me (I had to force the information out of them), that if I want to keep it it would cost me just shy of three grand.

So should I let them take it? Or is there a use to having a car that is not quite drivable? (the engine turns on fine and all that, but there are flat tires from the rollover accident). and I know the front shock absobors are finished, and apparently the back ones are bent.

For the record... I am likely going to buy another one to replace it, as this is the most roomy car, and apparently the safest I have ever been in.
Hi Ragnarok ~

I saw your smartie the other day - it looks very sad. Did you write your story on safeandsmart.com? Do you feel like tell us what happened?

Suze

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad you made it through it okay. Honestly, if it's in that rough of shape, the only reason I'd buy it back is to part it out, if there is enough to salvage on it and make it worth your time.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Oh boy, I would love to get a scrap '09 for $3k. Just to have a spare engine/transmission and other parts. If anyone in North Florida/Alabama/Georgia totals their very low mileage car and gets such an offer and doesn't want it, please tell me.

If you would like to share your story that would be nice. It is always good to hear about someone who can prove just how safe the smart really is.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The insurence has declared it a total lose, and is repaying me around 12 or 13 grand for it. They've told me (I had to force the information out of them), that if I want to keep it it would cost me just shy of three grand.

THE INSURANCE COMPANY HAS TO GIVE YOU REPLACEMENT VALUE!!!!! NOT 12 OR 13K..... VERY DIFFERENT!!!! you can also buy the car from them for the 3k and part it out. the seats, engine, tranny, radio, all that is worth alot more than 3k. ask them to take 2 or 2.5k for it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
the 12 or 13k is their first offer... you need to counter it with the law... it states REPLACEMENT VALUE if totaled. find out the replacement cost at the dealer or at Kelley blue/ black book values. KBB.com

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Sato7, the replacement value vs the KBB value is a state-by-state thing, and sometimes a policy by policy thing. I know in SC, I can opt for a replacement-value policy, but it cost $$$ - substantially higher than a "standard" policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts