Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we found a terrific deal on a 2013 to replace one of our 08's, which got totaled last month. But, the reason it was a deal was because it came with several deep scratches. Looks like someone keyed it or took a knife to it.

Interested in any good, inexpensive suggestions to repair. Local Smart dealer gave us a rough quote via phone of about $1300 to replace the affected panels. Local body shop eyeballed it at about $1100. For what we paid, we can live with it, but if there's a cheaper alternative.....

Scratches are to tailgate, right rear panel between tail lights and gas cap, and passenger door. They are really deep and raggedy.

My ears are open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Used panels. Have your salvage yard locate them, in your color.

Turn the damage into your car insurance. Pay th deductable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, we found a terrific deal on a 2013 to replace one of our 08's, which got totaled last month. But, the reason it was a deal was because it came with several deep scratches. Looks like someone keyed it or took a knife to it.

Interested in any good, inexpensive suggestions to repair. Local Smart dealer gave us a rough quote via phone of about $1300 to replace the affected panels. Local body shop eyeballed it at about $1100. For what we paid, we can live with it, but if there's a cheaper alternative.....

Scratches are to tailgate, right rear panel between tail lights and gas cap, and passenger door. They are really deep and raggedy.

My ears are open to suggestions.
Are american's usually this ****y? I noticed a lot of the people in the US don't use the coin slots by the tranny since they're afraid people will break in for 75 cents

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'd check wreckers as well for the panels, bright side is that since they are plastic that damage will not cause rust.

Wonder if there is a way to hot fill plastic into the grooves to smooth them or I suppose as an experiment can the panels be heated to reflow the plastic. Granted I wouldn't experiment in case this happens......

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are american's usually this ****y? I noticed a lot of the people in the US don't use the coin slots by the tranny since they're afraid people will break in for 75 cents
Mr. Eeeee. Would be interested to know what your bleeped word was, lol. In my mind, I will replace it with "thrifty". No, many Americans aren't thrifty. Statistics show that a good percentage of us are in credit card and mortgage debt up to our eyeballs.

Although I adore, love, and revere my flock of Smarts, particularly my own little yellow cabriolet, I also appreciate thrift. Getting rid of a minivan, a new Honda Accord, a Mercedes convertible, and an Xterra in 2008, our vehicle expenses plummetd so stunningly and unexpectedly, that we were able to cash flow two kids through masters degrees. No exaggeration there. Gas, insurance and maintenance are pocket change on these little guys, and I love them for that AS much as I love them for being.....them.

And we are also cautious. "Flippers" are a way of life in some neighborhoods, our urban neighborhood included. Why lure thieves into a car by showing cash of any kind? It may seem piddly to you, but with heroin going for about $5 bucks a high, it only takes a handful of cars with coins on the dash. Why risk hundred of dollars of damage over $.50? By the same token, neither would I leave gym bags, purse, totes, phone or laptop in my car.

When it came time to advise our daughter and her (also admirably thrifty) husband on a replacement Smart (she insisted on another), we agreed that some simple cosmetic scratches on a perfectly serviceable 2013 car with 36,000 miles that she picked up for $4600, well they just weren't that ugly.

However, saying that, we do enjoy a nice ride, and would therefore like to do what we can to make it look good. I have to say, I love my little Yellow, but I am really liking this metallic blue.

Smart Cars=Money in the Bank= SMART Owners!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I wondered myself if it wouldn't be possible to "iron" the plastic panels somehow. I'm going to check out Dr. Chip. We had something similar for a couple of our "adult" cars back in '08, and I had forgotten all about those little shaky jars of touch-up point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just for your info - the tailgate panel is a 15 minute panel swap. The quarter panel is much more involved, but doable. I've had to do both on my '08. I accidentally scratched my tailgate, found a mint matching one on eBay for $75.00, And my quarter panel got tore up when my tire blew out. Found a very clean one on eBay for $50 shipped. Did them both myself with a little guidance from the Evilution website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was just on eBay - you can pickup a mint tailgate panel for about $100 and the quarter panel $125-$150 or best offer and some include shipping. And in your color.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, but we've had our eye on Ebay. It's a light metallic blue. Panels seem to be hard to come by. We'll keep our eyes peeled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try looking at seller dz-speedy - has 2 silver quarter panels available for $129.xx ea. as of this posting - found a few more looking under smart fortwo-exterior-fenders, and under trunk-lids-&-parts - mkusedautoparts has your tailgate for $137.50 among others.
Better yet - there is a listing under trunk lids for a place called Nationwide in NY that is parting out a silver for two with a trunk lid selling for 97.93 that also has a good quarter panel - I'm sure they'll make a package deal for both - the number listed is 877-909-1010

1 - 18 of 18 Posts