Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started hearing:eek: a very unhealthy :crying:scratching coming from my right brake pad seems good as shown on picture and also its getting some pretty deep groves:( in it. any ideas? anyone?:think: Help!

·
Registered
800 Posts
To me it just looks like normal wear for a harder break pad than rotor. Mine started to look like that at about 25K. replaced the rotors with better aftermarket ones and all is good. I put on red stuff pads and they wore down the original rotor material. The caliper is on pins and should be free to slide slightly in and out. The pins should be lubed with high temp grease.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a similar occurrence . Coming home from work had a high pitch squealing for my driver,s front tire. Rotor was very hot . I took apart the front brakes and found that the pads were rusted to the bracket they sit in. Took a wire brush to clean them up and where they slide, put some ( never seize) on where they slide. Problem solved. All that winter salt up here in Ontario doing a rust job on my brakes.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The rotor appears normal. Outer brake pad looks normal. Inspect for stuck caliper and worn inner pad. Inspect for bent wear indicator contacting rotor. Inspect for any foreign object like a small stone trapped between the pad and rotor. Inspect for backing plate contacting rear of rotor.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Long story short........you need to get that wheel off and pull the caliper to get a better look. Not that hard to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts