Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must this screen be used? I would like to use a Fumoto valve in it's place (see www dot quickoildrainvalve dot com). Once in place, one never removes the "plug." Instead, one simply drains used old, or oil for a sample for analasys with a flick of the finger.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The screen is the oil pump pickup screen - you don't want to go without it. Changing the oil is so easy as-is, I can see no justification to changing the OEM drain plug, particularly in that you will get a better oil flush once the OEM plug is pulled. But, that's just me; I'm not into adding superfluous gimmicks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
superfluous gimmicks?

:eek:

Not true. This valve is a great add on that I have on all my other vehicles. If the Smart engineering (e.g., the pump sump screen is integral with the drain plug), then so be it. But this valve is wonderful otherwise for several reasons:

1) One warms the engine, gets all the gunk in suspension, and can quickly drain the oil.

2) One can easily obtain an oil sample for analysis (e.g. Blackstone Labs) without changing the oil.

3) No more oil down the elbow.

I have no affiliation with any of these folks, I'm just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so fast grasshopper. :)

I have an email from an engineer there on the specs for the plug size. The FG7B should fit.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Well, if that's the case, tell them to put it on their website. If I were inclined to make this mod, I personally would wait until they make it official, but that's just me. But it's a free country; let us know how it goes and whether it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you absolutely positively have to have it, have a machine shop combine the two...... shouldn't be too hard for a competent machinist.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if that's the case, tell them to put it on their website. If I were inclined to make this mod, I personally would wait until they make it official, but that's just me. But it's a free country; let us know how it goes and whether it works out for you. :)
Clearly, to replace an ordinary oil pan bolt isn't rocket science. But with the intake screen built into the bolt, that's a different story!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you absolutely positively have to have it, have a machine shop combine the two...... shouldn't be too hard for a competent machinist.
I'd love to but for I don't know the tolerance and the dimensions. I could do this myself if I had the specifications.

And, for the record, anyone who installs such a valve won't tolerate an ordinary oil pan drain plug!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The screen is the oil pump pickup screen - you don't want to go without it. Changing the oil is so easy as-is, I can see no justification to changing the OEM drain plug, particularly in that you will get a better oil flush once the OEM plug is pulled. But, that's just me; I'm not into adding superfluous gimmicks.
ORLLY
"My SMART Modifications(old smart) Optional fanfare horn; BPP DeDion tube caps; GMG front plate bracket & "badge bar;" GMG rear brake light pulser; OE "passion" badges replaced with "fortwo" badges"
It can be agrued at least one or more of those can be considered superfluous.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
ORLLY (?)
"My SMART Modifications(old smart) Optional fanfare horn; BPP DeDion tube caps; GMG front plate bracket & "badge bar;" GMG rear brake light pulser; OE "passion" badges replaced with "fortwo" badges"
Fanfare horn – A supplementary OEM accessory to cure the basic anemic horn situation. A safety upgrade. The original horn is part of the fanfare system.

DeDion tube caps (plain, subtle, black powder-coated) – To render two obvious, strange and arguably ugly OEM holes virtually invisible.

GMG front plate bracket – A temporary, non-destructive method of mounting the front plate without drilling the front bumper while the Commonwealth of VA mulls over doing away with front plates. OEM tow eye plug retained.

Rear light pulser in OEM 3rd brake light circuit – Another safety feature to avoid being rear-ended. OEM lamp still in use.

Everything that the engineers at M-B/smart and Mitsu put into the car and engine is still there and in operation.

passion badges – The “fortwo” badges are identical in form (design, dimensions, color, font) and function (that, nil) to the original “passions.” Superfluous maybe, but this old, many-times-over Shellback just doesn’t drive a vehicle that says “passion” on the side.

·
Registered
414 Posts
ORLLY
True. It's your car-- do what you like with it. Beauty (...and necessary add-ons) are clearly in the eye of the owner.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Mrc59...Consider the results....

I'd love to but for I don't know the tolerance and the dimensions. I could do this myself if I had the specifications.

And, for the record, anyone who installs such a valve won't tolerate an ordinary oil pan drain plug!
Of anything striking the extended valve (rather than the low profile drain plug) and breaking it off so that you loose your oil.....and then the engine right in the middle of the 59th ST bridge! That would be horrible and downright embarrassing.....::eek: 0W40 oil all over the place...sheesh!!
Let the plug be...it's as simple and trouble free as it can be. Once a year spin it out, clean the screen..yada yada yada....good for another year. :D
(And that is not the real meaning of yada yada yada...:) )

I mean....it's not like you have to drain out the oil after every race, right??:rolleyes:

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Fumoto, or not to Fumoto

Must this screen be used? I would like to use a Fumoto valve in it's place (see www dot quickoildrainvalve dot com). Once in place, one never removes the "plug." Instead, one simply drains used old, or oil for a sample for analasys with a flick of the finger.
It is obvious that anyone who "Badmouths" the Fumoto valve has not used one. It is well-made, a convenience and fair priced. Mutes the drain washer argument too.

After having a Fumoto for approx. 10 years, I had occasion to have to r&r the oil pan and found the bottom as clean and free of sludge as any other of the many other pans I have removed.

mrc59; You will have to decide for yourself however, I will attest to the Fumoto performing as it should.

Any sludge that would stay in the bottom of an oil pan, with oil at operating temp., would also remain with a removed drain plug. If there is sludge that thick, The type of drain plug is of little consequence.

I have a 450, So no drain plug. The suction method is OK with me, also there are many people with many makes of autos that use the suction method by choice.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
48 Posts
My point is what is superfluous to some maybe usefull to another,your post is fine,those badges can be considered more superfluous than the valve as it makes changing oil almost tool less and saves wear on the pan threads,if you think that is no big deal than you should research hyundai pans for stripped pan bolts as very few people know how to trorque the oil plug or care enough to look into it.Fair enough?

·
Registered
821 Posts
mrc59:

yes you will need the screen. So the one way to retain the screen is to modify the plug.

Remove the screen, bore through the plug with a ID of about 7mm. This is to facilitate the oil flowing through the plug. Then on the hex plug side (where you would use a 24mm wrench or socket), bore/tap out the 7mm hole to that of the
Fumoto size, ie M12 will do just fine.

Then install the screen back.

Let me know if this makes sense.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sponsor offers "magnetic" oil drain plug swap

To continue the discussion of what's best for the engine, and what is easy to maintain, we have three options:

1) Use the stock drain plug. Threads can be stripped. Non-magnetic. Screen attached.

2) SmartieParts magnetic plug. Captures ferrous junk. Threads can be stripped. Screen "can" be attached.

3) Fumoto valve. Non magnetic (brass), not easy to strip (never removed). Screen? Not sure.

So what do folks think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts