Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Smart got a swig of Sea Foam last night. Only in the tank. Try to keep it's injectors and combustion chambers clean.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've used it for years in small engines and 2 stroke outboards. It does a wonderful job of getting rid of that slight gum left from sitting over the winter. Even if you ran the carbs dry there is still a lttle fuel left in there to evaporate and leave a film. 1st couple of tanks in the spring and you can actually hear and feel the engine get smotther as it runs a bit.

I think the problems with this stuff is when folks use it for everything. I wouldn't put it in the oil on an old engine. It'll break loose the crud in the pan and circulate it places you don't want it to go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used it for years in small engines and 2 stroke outboards. It does a wonderful job of getting rid of that slight gum left from sitting over the winter. Even if you ran the carbs dry there is still a lttle fuel left in there to evaporate and leave a film. 1st couple of tanks in the spring and you can actually hear and feel the engine get smotther as it runs a bit.

I think the problems with this stuff is when folks use it for everything. I wouldn't put it in the oil on an old engine. It'll break loose the crud in the pan and circulate it places you don't want it to go.
I've used it a lot but only in the tank. I've read about adding it to the crankcase and feeding it direct into the intake. Not me!!!! And most additives drop the octane number on your fuel. I know that premix gas and oil for two strokes knocks the octane down a lot depending on the ratio of course. I use to have so much fun pouring oil into the intake of a briggs & stratton while holding it wide open. We always got the fire dept called. Those little motors can smoke out several houses!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't feel that autos need additives. Plenty of detergents in the fuel. But small engines are a whole 'nother story. Some additives actually probably most are snake oil. But this stuff works for what I've used it for.

Actually the additives in the fuel these days leaves some scary looking deposits cooked on the plugs.

Oil additives in general scare me some are so bad.

If I pull a head or intake for some reason on a car or truck. I normally take the injectors to a shop and get them ultrasonically cleaned and flow matched. That's the best way and a fraction of the cost of new injectors.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't feel that autos need additives. Plenty of detergents in the fuel. But small engines are a whole 'nother story. Some additives actually probably most are snake oil. But this stuff works for what I've used it for.

Actually the additives in the fuel these days leaves some scary looking deposits cooked on the plugs.

Oil additives in general scare me some are so bad.

If I pull a head or intake for some reason on a car or truck. I normally take the injectors to a shop and get them ultrasonically cleaned and flow matched. That's the best way and a fraction of the cost of new injectors.
Detergents are fine but fuel no longer has the preservatives it use to. It's normally an issue only if something is not driven enough and fuel sits. My friend is a Delta Pilot and travels a lot. His CBR 600RR which is fuel injected does not get driven enough. It's been to Honda twice for injector issues. They told him he must keep fuel additives in his bike.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I've used SeaFoam (in gas and oil for 500 miles just prior to 60K oil change) and then switched to MMO in the oil and a few tanks of gas. Worked well for me and cleared up a frequent stuttery starting problem I had and somewhat worrying #2 plug deposits. Would the problems have went away on their own? Maybe, but I doubt it.

If you have real mechanical issues, SeaFoam/MMO aren't going to do a darn thing, but if the issues could be related to forming deposits, then it's worth a shot before paying someone to diagnose or tear an engine apart. IMHO, of course.... :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
My 4 stroke snowblower would not run without full choke and half throttle last year because it sat with fuel in the carb for too long. It could not be started by pulling the cord. I had to start it with the electrical starter and that took a long time.

One tank of gas with Seafoam added took about a half hour of snow clearing when it began to run smoother and finally required no choke and would run well at full throttle.

The stuff works and is a godsend for some applications.

The snowblower started first pull this year.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When my 1995 F-150 with a 300 six and manual 5 speed starts bucking and burping at low speeds, I feed her a can. Snaps her right out of it. I never knew it didn't work?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts