Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving for over 30 yrs and never had this happen. Today my drivers side will not buckle- stick it in and pops back out. Car 'thinks' the belt is buckled as the seat belt light/alarm is out. Shot of WD40 didn't help. Call smart USA 'customer care'- what a joke- told me no longer under warranty and advised me to take to dealer or have it towed. Its 70 Mi 1 way so it ain't happening.
Think I did a boo boo as i unbolted the attachment point & cut the wires. Took the thing apart as best i could- - looks like a part of the latch is stuck in the down position, no amount of fiddling and WD could get it to pop out. So my ?s are:

1) anyone know where I can get a seat belt latch from a scrapyard?

2) what can I do about the wires- my 1st impulse is to just attach one to other to try to trick car into thinking bet is buckled- but maybe the computer is smarter (haha) than that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
A search on car-part.com shows 2 entries; one from American and Import Auto Parts in Sterling, MI for $50 (1-888-839-3799) and one with $call for the price from Sam's Riverside Auto Salvage (1-800-383-2163). I don't know anything about what to do with the wires, though. I'd probably try soldering and shrink wrapping them back to the way they were originally set up.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Did you just push the button down with out sticking anything in it. Sometimes they reset. The Stock ones are CRAP, your one of MANY that have had this happen...
After you get it fixed, You get a Pr of the the ones below, so you don't wear out the cheap Stock OEM ones...<:))
The plug for the wires you cut is right under the seat...

Car Seat Belt Extender Extension Buckles
http://www.dx.com/p/universal-safety-seat-belt-buckle-pair-116490#.U2uzbELD9aQ

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
from post long ago....if you turn on the key with the seat removed ( wires unplugged) some not so good things happen..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i used a dewalt saw blade sticking it down the slot & managed to get the buckle to pop up ....but what kind of bad things happen with the cut wires. Ive managed to reassemble the whole thing, can I patch the wires & reinstall, but what should I watch for ?

·
Super Moderator
28,242 Posts
The seatbelt wires should be OK; it's the airbag wires that cause a code if disconnected with power on the car. You should be OK to reconnect those wires. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So my ?s are:

1) anyone know where I can get a seat belt latch from a scrapyard?

2) what can I do about the wires- my 1st impulse is to just attach one to other to try to trick car into thinking bet is buckled- but maybe the computer is smarter (haha) than that?
If the buckle jammed one time it is likely to jam again. If you wish to replace it go to ebay motors parts and search for "smart fortwo seat belt buckle lock", without the quotes. If you wish to order it from a smart dealer the part number should be A 451 860 05 69.

The wires are for the buckle switch that turns out the warning light in the instrument cluster. Replacment of the buckle without cutting the wires requires removing the seat to access the connector on the end of the harness, since the harness runs through the seat back frame and the harness is secured to the frame on the bottom of the seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts