Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic's come up once or twice but I can't remember if anyone found a solid answer. Is there anywhere I can get a seat belt extender like those used on commercial airlines, but for the smart's passenger seat? I found this one, but it requires unbolting the OEM belt from the chassis. I haven't looked at how easily that's done in the smart, but I guess I could do it.

Auto Seat Belt Extender - Universal Fit

Opinions/recommendations?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Go to your local Ford dealer and ask for an extender for an '06 Ford Escape.It fits perfectly in my '08 Cabrio.The best part is the price,FREE!:D I have an Escape but they did not even ask if I had one or not.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... I have a Ford Explorer SUV... if they use the same belt buckle as on the Taurus, then it might just work. The local dealer's service manager probably remembers me... as a "challenging customer" which they satisfied very well. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Ford dealer didn't have the extender, so I ordered the Wesco universal shown above. Alas, the passenger seat's got a different connector than the driver seat. I see a wire leading under the seat, so I doubt I can extend it 12 inches... Maybe the wire is for weight detection?

Anyone have ideas or am I out of luck with this extender?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
that GTseatbeltextender is exactly what you need to keep the seatbelt from rubbing on your neck!! I picked up a plastic clip at Walmart that does the trick and is much less expensive. I think I'd rather have the extender.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the constructive feedback leading to the GT Seatbelt Extender... it appears there are two major size buckles and this is a common problem with an industry-regulated, federally mandated, solution: all dealers offer them for free to owners of their cars. My 2008 fortwo uses the smaller, Type 1, 7/8" buckle. Fortunately, most Toyotas use the Type 1, per GT's website, so tomorrow I'll hit up the Toyota dealer where I bought my SUV and ask if they have one for free. If not, I'll buy the GT if only to save me from calling around 25 dealerships.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The ones from the dealer are made with the same material as the standard seatbelts, They sometimes get down between the seats and can be difficult to find, and take two hands to operate. From what I see on the video, theirs is made to be more rigid and stand up which I'd think could make it easy to use just one hand to buckle.

I had a gmc Safari van with aftermarket conversion and the belts would work if nobody was sitting in the sats. with a person sitting in the seat, the belt was too short to buckle. But then when they attached the capeting in back, they ran screws into the top of the gas tank so it leaked when it was full....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got my GT Seat Belt Extender today. Ordered it because my wife had trouble latching up under the center armrest. Problem solved, it works great, just ordered a second for my side. We have the shorter of the two. Not cheap, but highly reccomended by us.
Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts