Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of those padded seat belt protectors that velcro over your seat belt and say Smart on them. They keep the seat belt from digging into your chest when you are wearing the belt. I also pulled off those beach towels that I have been using for seat covers to throw them in the laundry and that's when I noticed my drivers side seat belt. The top of the seat belt is connected to the mechanism that rolls out the belt. The bottom of the seat belt fastens to a cable that threads up inside a mechanism.

Should this cable be pulled out of the mechanism like this or should the cable be back inside the mechanism?

I thought maybe it's been tripped, but if it has it seems to me that the seat belt light or the air bag light or something should be lit up on the dash. The passenger side sealt belt is anchored on the bottom just by bolting to the seat frame so there's no way to make a comparison.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Mine also is connected by cable at the bottom. Think that is how they were designed. Seems my cable is same length as yours. Can't comment on passenger side since, honestly, I've never looked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
On my 2009 the seat belt is anchored directly to the seat frame for both driver & passenger.

I believe what you have is a seat belt pretensioner. It is designed to fire immediately before the airbag to snug up the seat belt and improve the effectiveness of the airbag.

Here's an image of one:

I am surprised to see it only installed on the driver's side and not the passenger's. Sometimes they are located on the buckle end of the belt. Possibly tests showed the need for it with the driver's smaller airbag and not with the larger passenger one.

~toaster

·
17,478 Posts
DCO - My 451's been like that since delivery. It looks weird, but the exposed cable appears to be normal. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hmmm...

Well according to the introduction to the smart car service manual, page 109:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f369/smart-car-technical-spec-manual-16233/

Restraint system

The restraint system consists of the following components:
• 2-stage full size airbag for driver and passenger
• Head/thoraxbag for driver and passenger in
outsides of backrests
• Seat belt emergency tensioning retractors and
belt force limiters for driver and passenger
• Passenger seat with Weight Sensing System (WSS)
and belt tension sensor
In the event of a frontal impact and depending on the
deceleration values, the driver airbag, the energy-
absorbing steering column and the passenger airbag
improve occupant protection by absorbing energy in
a targeted manner and thus minimizing the risk of
injury.
The pyrotechnical emergency tensioning retractors
ensure that the occupants are properly restrained in
their seats in a frontal impact and that they follow a
defined forward displacement with the energy being
absorbed by the belt force limiter.

So it seems all smarts have seat belt pretensioners. So the style used on mine is apparently built into the seat belt retractor.

~toaster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts