Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to circumvent the annoying seat belt warning noise. i'm a smart person and wear my seat belt while driving on the road but would love to not belt up when going a short distance to my mailbox, etc.

Can you buy the metal seat belt end to place in the receiver end? Will this silence the beast?

·
Super Moderator
29,148 Posts
Well, you could walk to the mailbox. No seat belt warning, better for your health, saves gas and cuts down on pollution (depending on what you had for lunch.) :D

The seat belt extender thing might work; don't know for sure. :)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Seat Belt extender WILL work

I got mine FREE (from a ford dealer)
You could check with your local smart center or MB dealer?

Metal tounge on one end, seat belt buckle on the other, about 10" long?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew I would get the "walk to the mailbox" answer....my mailbox is at the post office which is two blocks from the house on the way to my office.....and its cold here in Iowa.

·
Super Moderator
29,148 Posts
OK, I retract that suggestion. If you're on public streets (as opposed to a mailbox at your house) why not wear the seat belt? :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe they are universal. I tried an end from a Chrysler product and it did not fit and the guy at the salvage yard says they are all different....of course he does not have a smart in his yard...but I think we are on the right track. The salvage guy suggested a paper clip somewhere in the circuit.....I don't want to do that.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
This has come up before, the seatbelt sound comes from the computer, you'll notice the turn signals don't make a sound when the seatbelt is making noise. Buckle up and avoid the ticket. The police don't care how far you are going.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't believe they are universal. I tried an end from a Chrysler product and it did not fit and the guy at the salvage yard says they are all different....of course he does not have a smart in his yard...but I think we are on the right track. The salvage guy suggested a paper clip somewhere in the circuit.....I don't want to do that.
The extensions made for an '06 escape fit perfectly and the price is great (free). Just go to the local Ford dealer and tell them your wife or mother-in law gained weight and is having a hard time buckling up.I'm not sure but I think there is a law saying they have to provide for larger people.I have had mine for about a while and my wifes grandma (90 yrs old) loves them as they are easier to hook up and she only weighs 95 -100 lbs soaking wet.I tried to get them from the smart dealer but they wanted to put in a longer belt and charge over $100 for it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There is not a law saying the manufacturer has to provide an extension, but many dealerships will do it on a one time basis. I got some for my old GMC Safari years ago.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Size does matter.

I have a Ford Taurus and the tangs for the front and back seat are slightly different size. The one that fits my smart car is the one for the back seat of the Taurus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts