Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's some kind of rotational brake for the seatbelt just for the passenger. Driver side doesn't have one (left hand drive,US spec). 2008 passion here, for comparison. Is there a possibility that the driver side seat belt was replaced with a passenger seat belt? That kind of seems to be the case. On the passenger side, the yellow plug connects to a harness that's attached to the seat and not a run that comes from the vehicle itself.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, this thought came to me last night while I was lying in bed. I’m 99% sure the front windshield was replaced, and the steering wheel was loose. So I bet this thing was in an accident and that’s exactly what happened. The drivers side seatbelt was replaced with a passengers side.

· Administrator
30,050 Posts
Those seat belt buckles appear to be made by the CTS Corporation - I don't think they were OEM suppliers to smart. In addition, the belt on the driver's side is bolted directly to the seat, with no pretensioner - I'm not sure what setup the car has, but it's not factory and looks unsafe. :unsure:

· Registered
50 Posts
Those seat belt buckles appear to be made by the CTS Corporation - I don't think they were OEM suppliers to smart. In addition, the belt on the driver's side is bolted directly to the seat, with no pretensioner - I'm not sure what setup the car has, but it's not factory and looks unsafe. :unsure:
My 2008 Passion has the exact CTS seatbelt, so they were OEM spec... but only for the passenger side in my smart. I know 100% my car is accident free, as it's been in the family since receipt in '08.

But if what WV09Pure says is true, I guarantee that's exactly what happened. Why they didn't replace it with a driver's side belt, i have no idea. Maybe they didn't know? or it was cheaper?Or couldn't find one? Could've been a dozen things. Doesn't make it less effective, i don't think.... but that wire is basically useless on the driver's side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts